Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me search engine be knackered

Options
  • 02-04-2004 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Anyone able to help me,

We have a search engine, SQL back end asp front end.

I havent been able to replicate this problem but many users are reporting it, wehn they go through the search results either by clicking next or the page number it's timing out.

I've tested it ti crap and I cant replicate it, any ideas??? Gettin desperate thinking Firewall issue but what kinda crazy coding would cause that!!!!

Cheers

Grrrrr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

You might want to take a look at the logfiles on the server, both the event log and the sql event log (presume you are running on 2000 with ms sql server).

You could also download (for free) the microsoft stress test software which will generate a lot more requests per second then you can manually. It will then give you some statistics on things like timeouts etc..

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

This type of problem is not unusal. Most of the testing is probably done in nice controlled environment with very little users. Plus a lot of databases are poorly designed, no indexes on foreign keys, that sort of stuff. If you attach SQL Profiler to the database and have it log certain events then you will probably nail down the problem. Be careful with SQL Profiler though, it will slow down your database so minimise the events you want to capture.

My guess based on having to fix stuff like this on many occasions is that you have a combination of unindexed foreign keys, or maybe even no foreign keys, and probably poor indexing in general. In most databases that support row level locking when you do a join it tries to do the row level lock, if the optimiser determines that a row lock will take too long to figure out because of lack of indexes it will escalate the lock to a page lock, this can then get even worse and go to a table lock. The result is timeouts on concurrent access of a table due to deadlocks all over the place.

This website has some good SQL Server performance tuning information
    SQL Performance

But the general indexing rules apply to all databases that do row locking.

Advertisement