Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Basic VB.NET Deployment Question

Options
  • 01-04-2004 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭

Forgive me for being dense. Forum search results didn't address such a basic matter.

Suppose I have an extremely simple windows form app. (1 form)

I am trying to deploy it for use on another computer.

I go File > Add Project > New Project > Setup & Deployment Projects > Setup Project > OK

I haven't got the Setup Wizard here as I am using the Standard Edition.

Now I see a File System Window containing 3 folders, Application Folder, User's Desktop, User's Programs Menu for target machine and I am not sure how to proceed.

I tried a few things like opening the User's Desktop folder, right clicking, choosing Add > Project Output > Primary Output

If I Save All and Exit, the file WindowsApplication1.exe in \bin runs if I move it to another location. No setup/installer has been created though. Is that it? What if I have an Access database in \bin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Add the primary output and dependencies of your main project to the application folder of the set-up project.

Build the set-up project, as you would with your code.

It'll create files in your setup projects debug/release folder called

InstMsiA.Exe
    InstMsiW.Exe
    Setup.Exe
    Setup.Ini
    Setup1.msi (or whatever you called it)

Deploy these + the appropriate Net framework installer if required.

>> What if I have an Access database in \bin?
    ?
    If you're bundling and MDB then add it to the application folder like any other resources. (Or make up yet another target folder in the set-up project view )
    It doesn't make a difference to the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Great that worked thanks ressem - pretty cool!!

Must go add a database.

Advertisement