Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alistair Cooke - RIP

Options
  • 30-03-2004 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

The legend has passed away today shortly after retiring earlier this month.

Broadcaster Cooke dies aged 95
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3581465.stm

Veteran broadcaster Alistair Cooke has died at the age of 95, the BBC said on Tuesday. For more than 50 years Cooke entertained radio listeners with his weekly Letter from America.

In 1973 he received an honorary knighthood for his contribution to Anglo-American understanding.

This month Cooke, who had joined the BBC in 1934, announced his retirement after 58 years presenting Letter from America.

Cooke joined the BBC as a film critic before starting up US current affairs and historical programme Letter From America in 1946.

The show is the world's longest-running speech radio programme.

It was announceed this month that Cooke, who was absent from the show recently due to illness, would not record any new shows but Radio 4 would air archive shows for several weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I thought he must have been nearly a Hundred.

I really enjoyed his "Letters from America" from the 1960s. I recently got a S/H book collection of old ones. Excellent.

The Beeb will be at a total loss as to what to fill the gaping hole in R4 (Orignally the "Home Service" when Alistair Cooke started).

Didn't he go to USA even before WWII in the 1930s?

The BBC will never be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

I always used to listen to his broadcasts on a Saturday evening. They were quite interesting. I don't see how they can replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep its the end of an era. Alot of ppl disliked his "patrician" style but hey he was a man from a different age. I used to listen on a Sunday morning if I was awake.

I like the idea of a weekly observation for "our man in the colonies" (!) but who could do the job is another matter.

Mike.

Advertisement