Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chieftec Cases and Cooldrive Units - Not perfect, but there's hope

Options
  • 28-03-2004 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Hiyas,

I don't know if this is an appropriate place to post this, but I hope somebody might find it useful (might stop them getting pi$$ed off like I was).

I recently got a Chieftec case and a Coolermaster Cooldrive 4. Unfortunately I didn't do enough research and stupidly assumed that something that is suppoed to fit in a 5.5" bay will fit in all 5.5" bays... :)

Not so... The Chieftec and Antec (I believe) cases have a problem with this type of Coolermaster unit. The problem is due to a combination of these cases using slide rails which screw to the side of the 5.5" unit and the Coolermaster units having their holes too far back.

The result is that the front of the unit sticks out about half an inch. Firstly, it looks ugly, but worse, you can't close the door (if you wanted to). I thought about gluing the strips to the unit, but that just defeats the purpose of the rails, which are a nice idea. Anyhoo, I thought I'd put the fix into pictures, just in case anyone ever needs to combine these products together. Captions as follows:

1. Shows how that nasty control unit sticks out normally.

2. The reason why. The top drive shows how the raisl should be aligned to the front of a unit. The lower one is the CoolDrive unit.

3. On the side of the unit are two countersunk screws holding the front panel and the aluminium frame together. Why not use these?

4. The screws are tiny, so I used a couple of longer screws that came with the case. Handy!

5. The front of the rail can not be brought closer to the front.

6. Voila! A nice flush control unit (and a closable door even though it'll hide the lovely lights :) )

The downside of this is that the unit is only secured at the front. You can slot a drive into this as it doubles as a HDD cooler and I was worried about the weight, but it seems secure enough. Anyway, I placed it at the bottom of the cage so it can't go too far... ;)

Hope this is useful to someone!

Advertisement