Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Shortwave question

Options
  • 27-03-2004 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hello, I'm an amateur short-wave listener. While reading the UK's CIA Factbook entry, I saw that they have three SW broadcast stations. Does anyone know what these three stations are? (I presume at least one of them is a BBC World Service broadcaster.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The CIA factbook listings for broadcasting stations are notoriously inaccurate

Manily because they seem a bit confused as to whether "stations" means number of services or number of transmitters (in America most "stations" have just one transmitter and perfaps a few relays. "Stations" are linked together as "Networks" to give national coverage)

On the other hand if you count the English and Foriegn language versions of the BBC world service you have at least two (possibly more) stations

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most of the BBC Shortwave transmitters are NOT in the UK!

I do know that the 7.1 to 7.2 MHz band alone in UK has THREE transmitters. RSGB is negotiation to move these (WARC guidelines on Amatuer Radio extension from 7.0 .. 7.1 MHz up to 7.2MHz by 2009).

It is hoped they will be moved in frequency by end of year or even autumn and then Amatuers in UK and "wireless experimenters" here in Ireland (approval by Comreg) will get extra 100Khz on 40m band.

A transmitter "site" may have several physical transmitters on different frequencies. Transmitters on different bands may be carrying the same station.

I don't know how many simultanous external services the BBC does (not funded from TV licence, but direct Foriegn office Grant). The CIA factbook might be counting these, but it used to be more than 3.

BBC World TV is nothing really to do with BBC World Service Radio. The BBC World TV and BBC Prime TV are run and funded by BBC Enterprises and make a profit used to finance domestic TV/Radio. The BBC World Service Radio, is the UK's external service entirely non-profit and funded by Foriegn office, but with editorial independance!

I would presume all are BBC World Service..

Though there are also HF / SW Marine and Aeronaughtical "stations" in UK.

Ireland's (sole Shortwave station?) is at Ballygireen (sp?) near Shannon for communication to aircraft over atlantic. The AM 138MHz VHF band is only used near airports.

Amazingly this HF station is just across the road from Dromoland Castle, nr New-Market-on-Fergus on the Shannon/Limerick to Ennis/Galway road.

Marconi did some of his first demonstrations to potential Commercial customer (BPO) in Ballycastle N.I. BUT his Mother was Irish and from Dromoland, Newmarket-on-Fergus. Not many people know that Marconi, generally understood to be Italian was actually 1/2 Irish!

Perhaps Valentia has HF transmitter for marine weather reports. I know they do transmit reports on VHF marine band. If so it might be 5.6 something MHz. There is a Wireless Experimenter at Malin Head. I don't know if he is involved with weather reports and if there is HF Ship to Shore there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by LurkingIcon
    Ireland's (sole Shortwave station?) is at Ballygireen (sp?) near Shannon for communication to aircraft over atlantic. The AM 138MHz VHF band is only used near airports.

Nice. I'll try to find more about that. (Naturally, the Factbook doesn't mention it... well, I guess I've learned something about trusting US intelligence)

Yes, the USA didn't EVEN find a Mime school or Accordian factory in Iraq.

• Advertisement
Advertisement