Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate Floors

Options
  • 27-03-2004 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I am looking for laminated flooring (7mm/8mm). Are there any cheap buys right now ?

Is semi-solid/solid flooring as easy to lay as Laminated floors ?

Tks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by BrownBoy
    Is semi-solid/solid flooring as easy to lay as Laminated floors ?

mellow lighting, the right music , a couple of drinks...

Seriously - I don't like the idea of laminate - if you drop a knife on it or don't have felt pads under all the furniture you might scratch through the surface..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrownBoy

I know that. Laminate floors get scratched by accident. Wood floors can get marked just by somebody with high heels walking on it !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

B&Q are doing cheap laminate at just under €7/sq meter. 7mm thick. I bought about 15 sq m about a month back and laid it in half a day. It was glue free and maple in colour. They had boxes & boxes of the stuff. I think about 2.2sq m per box. I would say the laminate is easier to lay than the semi solid but have never done semi-solid.

Bearfoot are selling 8mm glue less laminate for 9.99/sq yd. It has AC3 rating. Has anyone used it before ? Is the quality good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

I've laid laminate, semi-solid and solid flooring and would order them in this way in terms of difficulty in laying. . Laminate, especially the clic glueless stuff is a cinch to lay and you will easily complete a good size room in less than a day . . If you are laying semi-solid invest in a good set of clamps to hold the floor together while the glue sets . . Solid . . leave to the experts !

As far as wear and tear is concerned I would say that laminate is by far the most hard wearing . . I have a solid maple floor throughout the downstairs of my house and you only have to look at it and it scratches . .

• Advertisement

Thanks all of you. I am going in for B&Q LOC universal flooring. Hope all goes well. I hv some questions about underlay which are on a seperate thread. Can someone look at it and give their opinion ?

Advertisement