Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limestone or sand

Options
  • 27-03-2004 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if its ok to use crushed limestone instead of sand for blockwork and plastering purposes?What mix should be used?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No idea,
    but sand is chemically inert* whereas limestone can dissolved by water over time, especially if it's acidic..

*quartz compared to limestone

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Limestone can be used, but its burned to a fine powder, & I cann't rem the name of the "mortar"..

Limestone was used before cement was around, if you look up OS maps you;ll see "LK" every now and again, these were lime kilns.

A house in the C4 program "Grand Designs" had external walls constructed of natural stone & the limestone mortar, I still cann't rem name... The house framework was green oak, nice design.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by KoNiT
    Limestone can be used, but its burned to a fine powder, & I cann't rem the name of the "mortar"..

Limestone is CalciumCarbonate
    When heated it becomes QUICKLIME , CalciumOxide, mixed with sand and left (for Seven years in olden times) it chemically reacts with the sand to produce mortar.

(Cement is slightly similar except other ingridents are mixed in and the furnace is even hotter and the reactions happen in the furnace rather than afterwards.)

Advertisement