Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing Memory

Options
  • 26-03-2004 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of updating my system and this will involve changing the motherboard.

At the moment I have 1GB of PC2100 (DDR266) in my system. The motherboard I'm considering will take a variety of memory types from PC2100 to PC3200.

My question: I'd like to continue to use the PC2100 memory, but can I mix it with, say PC3200 memory if I decide to add more moemory at a later date? Or should I have all the same type to avoid problems?

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Better off sticking with the one type, specially if you're going to be using dual channel like on an nForce board... AFAIK you can mix memory, but they will all run at the speed of the slowest type.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,023 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    you can mix memory, but they will all run at the speed of the slowest type.

Yep. Post up what motherboard / cpu combo you are considering and we will advise on what memory to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Provisionally its an Asus KV8 (Socket 754) and an Athlon 64 3200+

Mike

Advertisement