Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Open Source Java

Options
  • 26-03-2004 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

So what do you guys think about Suns descision not to Open Source Java?

As somone who uses Java day-in day-out and is an advocate of Open Source Software I'm really not too bothered and to be honest I think they're right to hold onto it, they've done a pretty good job this far and the JCP seems to be doing fairly well so if it aint broke...

What you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Purely going on what I've read in books :)

A big problem with C was its non-standardisation to begin with. Even now, even though we have ANSI C, a lot of compilers churn out different code, and some don't recognise code that other compilers will. It's largely not a problem anymore, but Sun kind of skipped all of the churn, and decisions on standardisation didn't have to be argued over.

I would like to see them accepting and reviewing submissions from the open source community though, that is if they don't do this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I would like to see them accepting and reviewing submissions from the open source community though, that is if they don't do this already.
    I believe they do. They kind of look at it and strip it down and just in general improve its performance where possible. I'd say they are doing a fine job as it stands. No need to change the system thats already in place.

Advertisement