Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

php user authentication question

Options
  • 25-03-2004 8:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

ok where will i start!?
    i have an apache web server/mysql database and php/html (on red hat 9) scripts all working with a login and user registration working grand
    but i need to be able to grant users access to the internet. ie
    i also have a wireless access point(not set up yet) that will have wireless users logging in to this website and those who pay/login can then access the internet through a wired connection

are ye still with me
    what i want to know is what is the best way in php to impliment this.
    i know i CGI that you can can do a "echo remote_ADDR" that will output the ip address of the user to the screen an by using linux commands like 'arp' i can match the MAC address with the ipaddress and then deny allow on that basis, but is there a way to do it in php with sessions(im having a hard time with this at the mo only started php last week like!)
    or is there a quicker work around that ye intelligent folks know of that of

one smaller quick questions
    is it possible to redirect traffic to a website from one ip adderss to anotherie
    wireless card ip 192.168.x.x(LAN) to ethernet card 157.190.x.x (WAN/Internet)

hope i explined it ok if not just say and ill go into more detail :)
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

`arp ip_address`

Instead of using sessions, how about saving state in the db?

Also this is trivial to spoof.

Rerirect:
    yes. If they're on the same system though there is no need.
    You can a) use a 403(?) redirect or b) NAT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

yea cheers for that will be very helpfull want to get as much of this done as i can in teh next week before my supervisor comes back from holiday!! :)

however i have one more question i cant get an update to work, think there is a problem with the privelages to the mysql server (if there is such a thing) because my INSERTS work grand but UPDATE wont fecking work for me at all. ill post up some small bit of code if ya want me to

Advertisement