Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A couple of recommendations...

Options
  • 25-03-2004 3:42pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if people have already seen these, but I recently picked up issues of Heaven's Devils (Image) and Metal Hurlant (Humanoid). Heaven's devils seems pretty cool in its general approach - it's a 4-book story about some sort of crazy environmentalist who tries to save the world by releasing an epidemic in Mexico. An FBI agent is sent to try and help stop the problem, and meets Alan, a generic dodgy-background character who is wanted by police for all sorts of things. Alan is, as it turns out, a wizard-type character, although we don't know where exactly his power stems from, only that he is trying to redeem himself for past misdeeds. Kind of like John Constantine might be if he finally decided to do right by all the people he's screwed over. Worth checking, if only because it's an interestingly different approach to the idea of magicians in the real world. The artwork is great, too.

Metal Hurlant is originally a french magazine about comics. It's mostly short stories submitted by various writers/artists but it also has columns and commentaries which are a fantastic change from the norm because it contains a lot of info about european comics, rather than focusing purely on the american market. Worth checking out if you like a bit of variety, although if you're a hardcore Marvel or DC fan there may not be much to interest you.

While I'm at it, I picked up a Titan Books compilation of American Splendor comics, released after the success of the film. Despite initial wariness, I actually really enjoyed this. It's a bit weird to try and get your head around the nature of the stories - rather than having a clear plot and structure, these are much more about capturing a feeling in pictures and wandering off on tangents as we follow Pekar on his daily adventures. After a few strips you get the hang of it and it's really good, there's a brutal honesty underlying the writing which makes the characters come alive in a way you'd rarely find even in novels. It's also fun to see all the different artists and how they interpret the work. Worth picking up, although I don't know what price it'll be - I got mine in Eason's for 25 euro....

Advertisement