Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another "real-world" game :)

Options
  • 25-03-2004 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

This is a _complete_ shot in the dark, but I figured it was worth a try. Is there anyone around who's interested in playing (or learning how to play) mahjong? I played semi-regularly back in Canada with about 7 other people, using Hong Kong (maybe modern Shanghai) rules ...

Note -- this isn't the same as most of the mahjong games you see on the computer (the solitaire-type ones). This is more like rummy, but with tiles, reading other players / bluffing, chips (or cash), etc :)

Anyway it only takes four people to form a game; I've got a hong kong set with me here as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Originally posted by smiaras
    If you can't find the players I saw a PC version in the budget PC section of Game for about 7 euros

Oh? As far as I know there are only two PC versions of _real_ mahjong .. Four Winds Mahjong (version 2.0 is £á30 - which I have) and Hong Kong Mahjong (not nearly as detailed, US $24). Which program did you see?

Not to mention ... it's like poker; not nearly as much fun playing on the computer as with real people. How can you slam tiles down on the table when you only have a mouse to click? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

I find poker online good, but I dont feel the thrill as much as on an actual table! The atmosphere of playing, tension and "thrill" of the whole game aint the same online!

I hate online cards too! sounds stupid but I like to hold feel and look at the cards in my hand rather than using a mouse to click on. Just not the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

what's this "real world" you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

what's this "real world" you speak of?

You got me. I hear there's actually a specific forum somewhere around here called "Real World Games" though............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Thats kinda like the way I've started playing patience a lot as a way to pass times waiting for trains at the mo - but i hate playing it on the pc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ben Noah

did you get your mahjong playing partners in the end?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As a rule of thumb, it's generally not advised to bump threads that haven't seen activity in eight years!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement