Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon 64 FX

Options
  • 24-03-2004 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Has anyone purchased one of these lately?

I'm thinking of it, but can't find an Irish source.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i presume you can find it no bother outside ireland? for example they have it on www.overclockers.co.uk

i wouldn't waste my money on it tbh, apart from the fact that the 3400+ performs very similarly for about half the price, there is also the new socket 939 platform coming out with the nforce 3 250 chipset also (which should have a working pci/agp lock for good overclocking).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Anyone know if there's a socket939 chipset coming out with PCI-Express and DDR2 support?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

To be honest, I've kinda gone off it.

Yes, I knew about the new upcoming socket changes.

I'm begining to settle on the Athlon 64 3200+. Its a lot cheaper than the 3400+ and was looking at a review of both today and the 3200 came out marginally better.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i would presume there will eventually though i haven't heard anything

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=2006

news from anandtech seems amd are putting off ddr2 for a bit

yeah the 3200+ is a good bit cheaper again. have you at a pentium system also? the amd systems are nice but you'll be lucky to overclock it to anything over 2.2Ghz, while you could get a nice performance gain from a heavily overclocked pentium system? its a tough call

Advertisement