Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding an O/E STR8 Draw?

Options
  • 24-03-2004 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

Was playing the Merrion €25 Rebuy last Friday night and plyed the following hand. Would like to hear other people's thoughts on it.....

Blinds 300/600, three tables left. I'm on button with about 8K in chips. Dealt J10o. All fold to player to my left who calls (has big stack, maybe 40K), I call, SB folds no raise from BB (stack about 20K). Flop comes Q, K, 3 .. all different suits. BB bets 4,000, player 2 calls.......I figured odds were slightly in my favour to hit STR8 but if turn didn't hit it I was pot committed so would have to call any bet - basically, was I prepared to go out of tourney on that straight draw - anyway, I folded.

(as it happened, turn came nine, which would have made STR8 for me....BB went all in and player 2 called... BB had QK (2 pair), player 2 had J10 as well and won the hand with same straight as i would have had. So I lost, probably, about 4,000 bu folding - went on to finish in the money so not toooo bad)

Question is, was folding the open straight draw the wrong thing to do, a marginal call or the right thing to do in those circumstances? :confused:

Dropsy

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think this hand is all about position - you were last to act and after a big bet it is hard to commit to a hand not yet made - easier for P2 who had a larger stack.

If you were betting first the decision may have been easier

Hyzepher

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The bet of 4000 was not worth calling. It was a good bet by BB and should have folded the other str8 draw too. Unluckily for him he was called by a chaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Agreed. Throw that straight draw into the crapper. I wouldn't call that even in the Thursday free-for-all at the Fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

never go fishing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 eldiablo

tough one...
    around 1 in 3 times i would go for it
    (usually only in looser home games though)

but u did the right thing folding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, with an outside straight, and the turn and river to go, you're odds of filling the straight, with 8 outs (4 9's and 4 As), is
    2.2:1, which equates to 45% chance.

So 55% of the time, a pair of Kings and a pair of Queens (or any crappy 2-pair) is going to win it (assuming my maths aren't fundamentally flawed).. So if you can get it for cheap, it's worth a shot. But if its your entire remaining stake, you're going to lose, the majority of the time.

(correct me if I'm wrong!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

According to the odds calculator on cardplayer.com, 2 handed with J,10 against K,Q and the flop K,Q,3 - two pair has a 69.9% chance of winning the hand with 2 cards to come.

3 handed with 2 j,10's vs 2 pair(k,q) - 2 pair has 69.2% chance with both j,10's having a 15.4% chance each of winning the pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dropsy

Thanks for all the replies.

Krusty, that was the main reason for the post in the first place - as you say, I was 2.2/1 with eight outs and there was 10,100 in the pot (2 X 4000 and 3 X 600 blinds plus SB) - meaning I would get about 2.5/1 if I hit (didn't work out implied odds) - if you go just according to pot odds the right thing to do was call.......and in a cash game that probably would be the right thing to do.

But in a tourney where pot odds say yes but you're also risking going broke I wasn't sure - I figured the fold was right even though the turn did ultimately hit my straight.

Guess sometimes there's no right or wrong answer.......although when I said that I had J10 too an old guy across the table he looked at me as if I had three heads......he departed shortly afterwards :D .... and on a str* draw as well :D (not kidding)

Derry

Advertisement