Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting an attic

Options
  • 24-03-2004 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Am contemplating a conversion of my attic over the summer, but wanted to know what issues I may encounter. The house is a semi-detached 3 bedroom with a standard roof.

On doing some research, it seems that in order to classify it as an extra room, you need to have steel girders in it! Does this cause structural changes to the house (will they need to be actually embedded to the gable ends?)

Do you need planning permission for this work? I would be looking to put in a velux window into the room too and use it as a study/lounge/boys room!

Cheers,

Voodoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should check with your local authority if they want you to get PP as you are increasing the size of the premises.

If you put the velux in the rear elevation, they will be more lenient. Any alteration to the front of the house on the outside will definitely need PP.

Structurally, conversion will be very dependant on the state of the existing ceiling joists and whether internal walls are capable of being lodbering or not.

How old is the house and in what style is the roof? Hipped (3 main slopes) or gabled (2 main slopes) ? How much open space is there internally in the attic?

Advertisement