Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vb vs vb.net

Options
  • 23-03-2004 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

what is the difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

AFAIK vb.net is jus the successor to VB 6.

I think .NET has more web based functionality in it, for web services and what not. 6 code should work in it though.

http://www.dotnetextreme.com/articles/VbNewFeatures.asp has an outline of the improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Originally posted by briano
    AFAIK vb.net is jus the successor to VB 6.

I think .NET has more web based functionality in it, for web services and what not. 6 code should work in it though.

http://www.dotnetextreme.com/articles/VbNewFeatures.asp has an outline of the improvements.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no and no again. .NET is a whole frame work that VB.NET is just one part of. While its based on the syntax of VB 5 and 6, you cannot just import a VB6 project into .NET and expect it to work. Pretty much everything has been thrown out the window bar the general syntax (and even there there have been a few changes).

You'll have to completly relearn where everything is stored in order to work with VB.NET, but the advantage is that when you do you'll find it very easy to progress to languages like C# as they all have the same library base.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

vb.net is very different from vb. Its not a version upgrade and 6.0 code will not work, there is some sort of conversion utility from MS but I have never used it. VB.Net uses the .Net framework, along with all .Net compliant langauges , C#, j#, Managed C++, plus many open source languages such as Python.Net.

The .Net framework introduces a whole new way to develop web applications, at least its new from Microsoft, other non MS environments have done similar things in the past such as Zope but in my opinion .Net is by far the best I have seen. There is a new Winforms engine as well which is pretty cool, new data access libraries, the list is endless. I find C# much nicer that VB.Net but each person will have a personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Well. Showed me. :p

I got as far as doing "hello world" in VB dot net, and went back to Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

briano, eventually you will find the true path, that being .Net :)

Over the last few years I have attended several Microsoft propagada events in the states, what I find funny now is that I often hear a phrase similar to this repeated by the Microsofties.... "if you are still developing or supporting legacy applications such as those written in Java" . Its an interesting way to plant the seed that Java is legacy, and I'm not saying it is before I get flamed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Originally posted by Kernel32
    There is a new Winforms engine ...

Problem being that this is going to be thrown out again when Longhorn comes our way. Then Winforms is going to be replaced with the Avalon system, which is really derived from XML and seems to be largely incompatabile with the current system, though MS say there are a few things you will be able to do in both.

Advertisement