Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Millenium

Options
  • 23-03-2004 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

Okay, I have several books with several chronologies, both specific to Dublin, and general to Ireland. I cannot find anything major happening in Dublin in 988 AD. Why did they pick that year as the founding of Dublin for celebrating the Millenium? I always knew that it wasn't the correct date, but I've also always assumed that something must have happened then to make the year something special. Does anyone here know what I am missing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Having found nothing in any of the Annals, nor in the chronologies of the various history books that I have, it finally occured to me that the millenium might not have been a celebration of any major event, and it also occured to me that maybe the City Council website would say something about it. Indeed it did:
    989 Maél Sechnaill II, an Irish High King, captured Dublin for the second time, an event commemorated by the Dublin Millennium.
    Not an event that I would have considered worth celebrating really, nor did it happen in 988 AD, but at least now I know. It also made me realise to look in the most obvious place first, rather than going straight to sources ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

My memory of the time is hazy but I think it was felt that Dublin in the 1980s needed some sort of a lift. The Millennium was a good excuse to get businesses to brighten up their premises, splash a bit of money around on public works and generally invoke a bit of pride among Dubliners. The historical considerations were secondary.

Advertisement