Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J2ME and Websphere

Options
  • 23-03-2004 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Does anyone have any experience programming with J2ME or with IBM Websphere Studio Device Developer??

Having a bit of trouble setting up a database to work with my Palm application.....

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

How are you accessing the DB? You talking about the recordStore?

I use the sun toolkit at home with Eclipse. I can post what my setup is later.

Never bothered to install WSDD is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 qubeat

It's decent enough - the problem I'm having though involves how to include the java.sql package as I'm hoping to use a database.

In WSDD you start a project with a certain class library that suits you (in my case its a GUI app for Palm) and unfortunatly the java.sql isn't included within it so I'm not sure what to do.

Would a recordstore be good or suitable for keeping names, phone no's etc??

J2ME is for devices, you can't just import other packages outside of the J2ME set.

AFAIR there is a DB2 package, but you might be better off looking at personal java instead (do they have that for the Palm?)

Recordstore is how you maintain data on your device however there is limitations on it. I think it is 8k limit you have to program for. Books at home so don't remember offhand.

Plus you have to serialise your data to store your records.

There is a tutorial on Developerworks.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/wi-dw-wi-data-i.html?S_TACT=104AHW05&S_CMP=EDU

scratch that.. its 8k minimum persistant storage devices should have.

You can use the getSize() and getSizeAvailable to get the amount of space you can play with.

MIDP1.0 you can only play with the same recordstore within the same applet. MIDP2.0 you can share datastores.

and would I have much functionality to play with such as searching for entries and things like that???

Could I also do some sort of file i/o aswell??

• Advertisement

There is no file I/O. You can make connections like..

sms://123456
    http://localhost

so maybe you can do

file://file

But I doubt it. The J2ME is meant for devices with limited memory/storage space (like phones). Thats why I suggested Personal Java.

Recordstore has an abstract method called matches() that can be used to filter your results.

Sample below will return a record if the first byte is a 4.
    public Class MyFilter implements
                       javax.microedition.rms.RecordFilter {

public boolean matches(byte[] recordToCheck) {
          // You write the rest here. below is an example. 
          if (recordToCheck == 0) return false; 
          return (recordToCheck[0] == 4);
      }
    }

The info I got from palmone.com said the PersonalJava was not suited to Palm so they recommended MIDP.

Yeah - think I'm gonna go with RMS - but is it slighty sluggish?? It seems slow accessing files??

Advertisement