Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applets

Options
  • 23-03-2004 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Here is my code for an applet. It works perfectly when viewed using appletviewer, but, when I try to use it via a web explorer it doesnt load up. Why is this happening? It's driving me insane!! Any help would be great.........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Just a shot in the dark here:

I did some applet development for a project years ago and i kept having display problems caused by browser caching (IE). I can't remember which, but I either needed to close down all browser instances or clear the cache each time I recompiled the applet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

1. one thread is enough :mad:

2. check that you have the proper HTML 'code'
    3. go to Tools > internet options > security tab -> internet -> custom - try lowering java vm security,etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You can usually get more information from the Java Console. You can get this from the systray icon if you are using the Sun VM, or from View->Java Console if you're using the MS VM (must be enabled in Internet Options->Advanced). If you don't understand what it is telling you, post it in this thread.

If you need IE to reload an applet from the source, rather than the cache, use CTRL-F5.

Zab.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

it doesnt seem to work. I'm getting a noclassDefFound error. Dont spose anybody knows how to go about fixing that?!

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

there is a thing called HTMLviewer or something like that in the bin with javac and java and all the other programs. ya gotta run that on the applet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

I am working with chunks on this one.

We have tried everything you have told us to and no luck. Any more ideas? keep them coming and thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If you're attempting to use the MS VM, you will have to compile the java file using an older version of the JDK (1.3 or before ... 1.4 will not work). The MS VM is based on the 1.1 specification, so you won't be able to use the newer classes either, meaning that even if you get it to run the class, it may complain about not being able to locate other classes.

If you don't need it to run under the MS VM, you could just enable the Sun Plugin in control panel (I'm presuming that you're using windows here?).

Hey Matfinn, bit late to be doing this now, Im guessin its your 3rd year project, Im in CA too by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

I am. Are you doing your third year project? Have you presented it yet? how did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

No cogging!

• Advertisement

cogging is what FYPs are all about!
    Have you tried writing and running a simple HelloWorld applet? see if that works...

yeah matt presented it Monday, it went grand but the guy they had examining us caught me and my mate drinking down in L101 about 3 months ago so he may mess with our grade cos of that!!

They just ask you simple enough questions and then ask you to show them some interestin code. Its not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Originally posted by Chunks
    I'm getting a noclassDefFound error.
    This means that java release being used in the browser has come accross a line of code in your applet like, JEditorPane inputPane = new JEditorPane(); and it sees you are trying to construct from a class called JEditorPane but the java release doesn't have anything on a JEditorPane.
    Therefore the java release you are running the applet on is older than the one you compiled the applet on.
    As said befor you can fix this in the advanced tab of internet options (again assuming you are using internet explorer).

*shrugs*
    it's working fine here.

Test.html:

<html><head><title>Testing</title></head>
    <body>

<applet code="ProjApp" width="1024" height="768"></applet> 

</body>
    </html>

put the .html and applet in the same folder...

Check classpath and java_home mebbe?
    show us your classpath (prnt scrn or 'echo %classpath%')

no worries, just got it working!!!

Thanks for all your help guys

no worries, just got it working!!!

how? (it might help others to know..)

Raz seemed to have hit the nail on the head. I followed his advice and it worked.....cheers Raz! thanks for the ideas Karoma, appreciate it everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

You're welcome :)
    Glad I could help.

Advertisement