Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are IBB up to something dodgy here?

Options
  • 23-03-2004 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

......or am I reading This wrong !
    Tel – Aviv, Israel, March 18, 2004 – Alvarion Ltd. (NASDAQ: ALVR), the global leader in wireless broadband solutions, today announced its new BreezeACCESS™ VL system, a solution that employs OFDM, a technology which is the basis of the coming WiMAX standard, for the 5.4GHz unlicensed frequency bands in the European market.

That bit was OK except that the 5.4Ghz band is NOT AVAILABLE in Ireland YET. If it is availabe for use in Ireland then Comreg seems to have neglected to tell any of us apart from maybe ...... further down in the linked article we find this nugget. .
    Paul Doody, Managing Director of Irish Broadband, said: “The broadband fixed wireless network we built using the BreezeACCESS VL has exceeded both our expectations and those of our customers. The flexibility to install base stations where demand is highest has enabled us to grow rapidly, whilst keeping our costs low. By expanding our network and using the latest technology – namely 5GHz networks – we will be able to meet the soaring demand for broadband services in Ireland. Alvarion has proved to be an invaluable partner – its investment in research and development, and production of equipment which the market is demanding has impressed us fully.”

So IBB is deploying kit in the 5.4Ghz band is it , or do I take it that it HAS deployed kit in the 5.4Ghz band already. I cannot really tell from that press release. IBB do use kit in the 5.8Ghz band which IS allowed .

Odd. Very very odd. I feel that yet another press release from IBB may be warranted to clear the air (if you lot will pardon the atrocious pun :) ) .

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

The Alvarion press release mentions WiMax which as far as i know, is currently only being trialled in the UK.

The IBB one seems to refer to the 5.8ghz equipment they're using from Alvarion.

[Edit]To clarify, the snippet from IBB looks like it's just a testimonial of Alvarions products, probably not directly related to their wimax stuff[/Edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

BreezeACCESS VL used to be 5.8 only, but now also supports 5.4.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

since all outdoor 5.8Ghz stations have to be registered with comreg (IIRC Both ends of the link) - surely you could get that info under the freedom of information act.

Advertisement