Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for the big game?

Options
  • 22-03-2004 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

So I managed to fluke my way into the big game this Thursday and ever since I've actually started taking this whole card game thing seriously. As in reading all the threads in this forum (including Hyzepher and Muso's excellent stickies).

I've a pretty a good idea of how I'm going to play but I'd appreciate any tips anyone has for the 250 game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

See sig.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by amp
    So I managed to fluke my way into the big game this Thursday and ever since I've actually started taking this whole card game thing seriously. As in reading all the threads in this forum (including Hyzepher and Muso's excellent stickies).

I've a pretty a good idea of how I'm going to play but I'd appreciate any tips anyone has for the 250 game.
    Wouldn't call it a fluke - saw your play for a good bit of the evening. Me surviving having played those pocket 6s after an early raise would've been a fluke - bad play.

I got there once. Got the ticket on the last thursday of the month and sat there shell-shocked and full of adrenaline - not a good way to be when playing against proper players. Don't play as many marginal hands. Keep it tight. Don't let yourself get bullied if the hand is worth playing. Don't get pot-committed unless it is really worth playing til the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If you want to progress you need to be Tight McTight from Tightville Kentucky for the first few hours but to get anywhere you will need to take a few marginal hands in the later stages - just dont risk all of your chips on one hand without knowing that you have the Nuts

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

At the start just sit and watch. Dont go out in the first 6 hands its not worth it. Ive learnt so mush from my night there. Play as much only hands in which you are leading in post flop. Work out how you can be beaten and if the odds are against you throw them away. Staking 1000 waiting on 2 more suited cards isnt worth it.

As the night goes on the standard gets better but looser at the same time all of a sudden JQo is a good hand to have a bet with. But thats only really at the last table or so.

Be prepared to be sitting for 6 hours to win money. Its a long night.

The most important thing is to watch whats going on, learn and enjoy it, its a fantastic experience

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Cool, thanks guys.

• Advertisement

Well I played well but this time no help from the cards. Got severely damaged calling an all-in were I had top pair only for my openent to catch trips on the river.

Went out in 60th (out of about 85) place when I went all in with AKo, player has A10s and he catches a royal straight on the river.

Still for a tenner I got 8 hours of adrenaline pumped entertainment, a huge amount of cokes and chicken and chips. Value for money I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Any other Boards people playing? Apart from Davey Devil who has a ticket each month for the next 6 years or something.

Not that I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

yep i went in last night too, but i was incognito!

first time playing last night and i have to say it was sh*t hard, really the most difficult game ive ever played in, you really have to concentrate on whats going on.

this is my adventure

sat down at my table and i decided to only play good hands, obviously! only two hands stand out for me before the break the first one being when i had a pair of 9's, i was big blind and i had a couple of callers, the flop comes and is good to me, all lower cards, but two spades, i check and the guy to my left goes all in but really nevously, i knew he was fishing so i called he had ace something of spades, but luck was with me and no turn or river for him. the second hand i got delt jacks in the pocket, paddy (nice old guy) beside me bets big, i call flop comes two fours and something else, he bets big, i call, turn comes he bets again, i call, river comes i hit a jack for a full house and i bet him all in, he calls, he has pair of sevens and fours to my full house, then its break time im sitting with around 18k

break time, chicken and chips.... lovely

after the break i wasnt getting any cards, none notta, i got whittled down to 3000 chips when there was a bout 20 people left and the blinds where 2000/4000, everyone was like make a move come on get out of here and so on, but i eventually did, i doubled through, cant remember the hands.. all a blur, doubled through again, and yet again so back up to around 14k, so i just sat on that for ages, robbing the odd blinds with all in raises in position. but i did make one crazy call and davey devil had his head in his hands watching.. i had ace 4, chip leader goes all in and i call.. he had ace queen, flop comes and we hit the ace but the turn comes and i hit the four woo hoo, i love this game. however i had a bad beat then when a guy goes all in for around 8k, i call i had ace queen, he turns over 5 2.... !!!!!!! chancer me was thinking.. he hit a two on the river taking the pot.

so i held on til there where 10 left and there where 10 prizes, 10th getting 500, 9th getting 950 with 8th and 7th getting the same... not sure about the rest but first place was 8800

so ten players left two tables, i have 500 quid in the back pocket and thats all i was thinking about, really needed that money!! but this is where you can all laugh at me and im kicking myself about it...

norman was beside me and lost a big hand to a bad beat, so he was down to 5000 chips, he was next big blind and got moved.. blinds where 3000/6000, he went into big blind on the other table and therefore all in, but i wasnt thinking about that, and im sure if he had have stayed at my table it would have made all the diff. but the next hand i get delt king queen, a guy goes all in, im thinking feck it call, he had pokcet fours.. not that bad, but i didnt hit anything and i was out in 10th place. but because i went all in before they delt on the other table they stopped and waited, so if i hadnt have done that, norman would have been all in and maybe out, tables merge and i would have had a 950 minimum win but as it is tenth with 500 in the pocket

:rolleyes:

but anyway im chuffed, 10th out of 90 (90 according to luke) is fecking great and this is me :D, when i was leaving luke said not bad for 10 euro is it?

your not far wrong luke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

woohoo, congratulations to kratta,

he deserved it after some crap luck in a few of the normal thursday games, he played a stormer to win the ticket and looks like his luck (and skill of course) held on for the money game too.

nice.

• Advertisement

Well done Krattapopov, nice one. (bastard :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Once again well done Kratta you played like a maniac and it was great watching it all unfold. My own experinces were not as pleasurable.

The Highlights

I pulled a swifty on Roy Brindley. We were contesting a pot, flop came down with a pair he raised to 800 - I knew he didn't have the set so went all in on the stone cold bluff and sure enough he passed. I was loving that, almost felt like showing the bluff but I'd say Roy would have murdered me. (Roy's heat on Poker Million is on Friday week on Sky Sports be sure to check it out).

From there on it was a struggle hovering about 5500 blinds 300/600 and I made the worst play of my life. Hadn't seen a hand in ages got A,J and thought I had to make it count one caller in earlier position I went all-in with most of the table still to act - f*ckin rookie play - folds all round to the original caller who called with A,Q and I was out on me arse in 59th.

A,J is not a bad hand but from early position it's not worth the paper it's printed on. Have to control the rush of blood in the future. If I was under presure it would have been fair enough but I was comfortable and didn't need to risk the whole night on what is a mediocre hand. You make mistakes in poker and learn something new everytime you play. This Sunday I'll be putting my new found wisdom into action - World Series here I come.

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    You make mistakes in poker and learn something new everytime you play. This Sunday I'll be putting my new found wisdom into action - World Series here I come.

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

your bad play davey wasnt half as bad as a guy i saw, he was late arriving, it was himself and another chap in the hand, i cant remember spedifics but there was ace king, five, seven and ten i think on the board all different suits... on the way to this he had commited 4000 of his starting 5000 to the hand and so did the other guy, the other guy goes all in with 750 left and yer man folded!!!!

he had 4000 commited to the pot already, that was the worst play i saw all night by another player, truly terrible, id never seen him before so he must have paid 270 in, mad!

Advertisement