Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java to open source

Options
  • 21-03-2004 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm writing a research paper on J2ME, just interested & confused by the call by IBM to make java open source:

As seen here: http://news.com.com/2100-1007_3-5165427.html

and the follow up:

http://news.com.com/2100-7344-5173427.html

What does this actually mean?

I'm a bit confused by it. What would switching to open source mean for java? What presently, that is paid for and is protected, would become free? << Are these even the right questions?

Does it just mean that *everything* relating to java would be released under the GPL ?

I note that on java.sun.com: "The companies listed below have licensed JavaTM 2 Platform, Micro Edition (J2METM) configurations and profiles and the associated Technology Compatibility Kits (TCK). Only J2ME licensees can claim compatibility with J2ME specifications and TCKs." - i take it this sort of thing would be made reduntant and any company could take the technologies without licences.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

What presently, that is paid for and is protected, would become free?

Firstly, I think you have misunderstood "Open Source". Its a common misconception (god, I've always wanted to say that. I just hope I've spelt it right...) that Open Source == €0.00 price tag. This is not true, although some open source projects are available for free. What open source actaully means is that the source code of the program is released into the public domain so that enthusiasts, groups and businesses can modify it to suit their needs. The oposite of this is proprietry software where the source code is not made available to anyone, such as Windows etc etc.

In this case IBM are asking Sun to adopt a model similar to the model used for the linux kernel where changes are submitted to Linus Torvalds for review and adoption into the Kernel. This would mean that anyone could change Java if they wanted, and if any of the changes were particularly good they may be put into a future java release. Sun are arguing that they do not want to to do this as it could lead to incompatiable versions of the JRE and whatnot (which AFAIK is also why Microsoft are not allowed ship a JRE with windows anymore)
    Does it just mean that *everything* relating to java would be released under the GPL ?

It would appear that nothing is going to be released under the GPL at all. But while you mention it, it is worth pointing out that Open Source != GPL. The GPL is license that is used in some open source projects. There would be nothing to stop Sun, if it did decide to make Java open source, writing a new license for use with the Java source code.

I only scanned the articles, so I probably missed some important elements, but hey, Its your project not mine. On that note, if anyone has an afternoon free and wants to write my thesis...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Briano got there before me with opensource != free. An analogy: open source = free as in free speech but not free as in free beer. ;)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

cool, thanks for that.

To be honest its got little or nothing to do with the paper i'm supposedly writing (100 words done go me) I was just interested. Might mention it in passing.

good luck in your thesis.

Advertisement