Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to drill a hole

Options
  • 20-03-2004 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Need to drill a hole at the end of the room at the bottom, beside another hole made by the sky digital people so i can run a quite thick cross over cable to my room,
    Now i have a drill but i dont think this normal drill will do the job , but it might (Concrete is involved on the other side of the room)
    the main concern is that i dont go through any wires and get a shock or something.

So do i need a carpenter yeah ? just to do that , how much will it cost !?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Don't be a pussy!!

Get out your drill and get going!

Seriously though, theres no need for electrician. If its a concrete wall and you aren't too close to a socket then your fine. If you really are worried about it then buy a wire finder

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=031117211404309&moduleno=35188&Products=1

thats just one type, I'm sure you can pick something similar up in your local hardware shop. ALOT cheaper then an electrician.

BTW, if you have hamer action on your drill turn it on the concrete

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by Placebo
    Need to drill a hole at the end of the room at the bottom, beside another hole made by the sky digital people so i can run a quite thick cross over cable to my room,
    Now i have a drill but i dont think this normal drill will do the job , but it might (Concrete is involved on the other side of the room)
    the main concern is that i dont go through any wires and get a shock or something.

So do i need a carpenter yeah ? just to do that , how much will it cost !?

Try turning the electricty OFF

drill your hole

THEN

if you go through a wire....call an electrician :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Originally posted by Emboss
    Try turning the electricty OFF

But what if its an electric drill? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Originally posted by BendiBus

:D Heh. 0wn3d !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Originally posted by BendiBus

someones awake on a Monday morning. If you're drilling beside where the sky people drilled, chances are they have checked out the area for cables/pipes, so you should be ok. If you're not sure, get/hire a wire finder. It's not worth the hassle after. Besides they're cheap and you'll always find a use for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

would be great to have an off-piece of wood on the far side of your drill point, else when the drill breaks thru you will lose a lot of plaster and have a patch up job to take care of, buy a good quality bit for the job or you'll knacker your drill/body

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

omg its the D.I.Y boards....DO IT YOUR SELF YOU PUNK...whats the worse that can happen...you could drill threw some leccy cables and end up dead...well it would be one less retard wed have to listen to on these boards...come on son play the game and do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

me wonders did Placebo survive the drilling!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Settle down.

Placebo think about investing in something like this available from all good DIY electrical stores.

http://www.kenneke.com/stud.html

tracker.JPG

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if the hole is going outside then angle down - water tends not to drip uphill

To go through concrete / brick you will need a masonary Bit and a hammer drill - or lots of patience

Stud detector might not be a lot of use if you have metal foil lined plaster (new energy star houses) .

• Advertisement
Advertisement