Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vinyl

Options
  • 19-03-2004 5:29pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here collect vinyl or still have a big collection?

Im starting to get into the wonders of it myself, would never give up my cd collection, its too handy and that, but its great to have vinyl too, Im currently collecting all the pearl jam records (have them on cd), just because I figure its how the band would like their stuff to be heard, and it does add a certain something

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I have some of my own, some of my folks old records and some other rare stuff but I'm not mad on collecting vinyl. Gimme CD's any day. I'll get vinyl if I can't get a CD but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I think a lot of it is myth and legend, especially in modern music (where practically everything has been converted to a digital signal at some point).

I'm still waiting for the tape revival :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

what do you mean myth and legend?

I have an original dark side of the moon that my dad used to own, but thats the only decent thing i have.
    I would choose cd over vinyl, much more practical, but as i said, pearl jam sounds good on vinyl, id also buy vinyl for the special packaging etc (like the QOTSA single I have with a clear plastic disc and the sperm/egg Q in the middle, looks really cool)

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

I'm not a vinyl junkie or anything like that , and do prefere CD's for their handiness / ease of storage (well kinda ...) , but I do miss vinyl cos of the album covers - y'know Big Artwork , Double Gatefold Sleves , extensive sleve notes - even the white paper inner sleves with the old "Home taping is killing music" warning ... oh man - that was funny ....

I dread the day when music will only be available via downloading into iPODs or whatever .... it'll strip away the personality of the album ... and we'll miss out on looking at wonderful artwork , reading lyrics ... even the bands "thank you" lists !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

agreed, wiped.
    Vinyl was the hey-day of cool packaging, tapes sucked and CDs are OK, but not enough bands actually do anything different to the regular plastic casing.
    Once again, going back to pearl jam, their No Code CD cover was cool, well designed etc. got the vinyl and it even better, huge polaroid photos with the lyrics on them, the disc itself in a special designed sleeve, with the oija board kind of thing.... brilliant really.
    Oh, and check out the Vitology cd cover, its brilliant, the booklet with it rules!!!

If mp3s do take over (i dont think they will, but you never know) then its gonna be a little slice of the individuality of a band gone.... just like that

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Have (nearly) all the bowie albums on vynil. Good thing to start collecting. Ebay's a great place to buy em

Also - the album covers make really slick posters - I have all my bowie sleeves stuck up on my wall - looks pretty impressive (if yer into that kinda thing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Max Fagan

Ill be going to Seattle this summer and i thought it'd be cool to get a Ten album on Vinyl over there. I'm just trying to find out if there are any record stores in Seattle that have some Pearl Jam significance, can someone help me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement