Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple SQL - representing a number

Options
  • 19-03-2004 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick SQL question: I want to have a query to select all IDs that start with a digit (0-9) without typing out "where id like "0%" or id like "1%"........."
    I remember seeing it before but I can't remember the syntax :dunno: I'm using mySQL!

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Check out this page on the MySQL manual

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/String_comparison_functions.html

Look for the parts on Regular Expressions (REGEX).

This wouldn't be the most portable way to do it though I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Dr Pepper
    Hi,

Quick SQL question: I want to have a query to select all IDs that start with a digit (0-9) without typing out "where id like "0%" or id like "1%"........."
    I remember seeing it before but I can't remember the syntax :dunno: I'm using mySQL!

Thanks,
    Brian

use substr and between- would work in Oracle
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

One option is to do it as follows...

I'm assuming an ID field of length 6....obviously you can do the same for any other size. ALso, if you can place more intelligent bounds, then its even easier
    Where id >= '0' and id <='9zzzzz'

Alternately :
    Where id between '0' and '9zzzzz'

If your DB implementation sorts numbers before letters, and you know that ID's will always be alphanumeric, you can go with :
    where id >= '0' and id < 'a'

(Depending on case-sensitivity and/or case sorting, you may need to use capitals instead of lowercase)

Its may be faster to do it that way instead of using substr, because >= etc allow index lookups on any DB system I'm aware of, whereas substr may not always.

Oh, and in some implementations (e.g. MS-SQL) you could use :
    where id like '[0-9]%'

Hope that helps.

jc

Advertisement