Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charley's War

Options
  • 19-03-2004 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

anyone ever read this..was printed in battle and a few other weekly strips I remember but I know they were reprinted in novels a few years back..anyone know where I could pick these GC's up? for a reasonable price I might add...

fantastic strip i remember and had a biting anti-war adgenda....black and white helped also but I loved this when I was a kid.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

It's currently being reprinted in the Judge Dredd Megazine. I'd say you'd be able to get the trades on e-bay.

I have vague memories of reading it years ago but to be honest I'd say it didn't stick with me 'cause at the end of the day it's not the best. It's extremely repetitive and the anti-war message is done very heavy handedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Originally posted by Draco
    the anti-war message is done very heavy handedly.

which is imo no bad thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

Originally posted by Draco
    It's currently being reprinted in the Judge Dredd Megazine. I'd say you'd be able to get the trades on e-bay.

I have vague memories of reading it years ago but to be honest I'd say it didn't stick with me 'cause at the end of the day it's not the best. It's extremely repetitive and the anti-war message is done very heavy handedly.

Charley's war is a classic shame on you now 20 hail mary and read 2000ad for punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I remember it quite well. I thought it was drawn quite well, though memory could be fooling me. But it the quality of the artwork sticks in my mind. The story switched to his brothers aswell, one wasin the Navy and one in the Airforce. I remember they had lots of stories that were based on real battles and events.

They produced one annual but I could never find it to buy it. Is it being reprinted in the current Judge Dredd Megazine? I had a look at that once or twice but haven't seen that. The Judge Dredd Megazine doesn't seem to have the same quality artwork that 2000ad had in the past. I'd like to see it again.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Charlies war (as being reprinted in the Judge Dredd megazine) was set in world war 1 and follows a single guy - Charlie - in the trenches. I believe there was a follow up set in world war 2 following his sons which is probably what you are thinking of.

I stand by my opinion of it. In fact, the episodes printed this month were particularly poor. Part of it is that I am older and wiser than the target audience and I already know ww1 was a particularly bad war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I definately remember a Charleys war story about a sailor, maybe his cousin at the Naval Battle of the Falklands WWI and another about a gunner in a 2 seater AC trying to take down Zepplins. I remember that they all meet up at some point aswell. Never saw one about his sons. What was that called and what comic was that in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I have them downloaded if anyone wants Battle/ Action Force with Charleys war and Johnny Red. Dont want anything for them

Advertisement