Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Thursday night at the Fitz worth it?

Options
  • 19-03-2004 10:54am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Again my progress in the Thursday night game was halted around the 2nd last table and I was left wondering if this type of game suits my game. I dont seem to be able to adjust my game to play the maniac loose method required for the buy-in period and therefore never have enough chips to sustain a real challenge.

To be honest I feel that the Thursday game is ruining my own game and I am taking steps backwards when I play more serious games etc.

Don't get me wrong, the Thursday night game is good fun and good value but I am asking myself what are my reasons for entering - to get a ticket to the €250 game? Well thats the goal but what does that really get me - a seat in a hotly contested tournament where getting raped by some pro is the norm. My recent new arrival into my family has left me with a restricted poker calander and I think there are far more enjoyable nights to take part in - night that have a cash reward on the night and dont have me trying to arrange another night out to fulfil a sucessfully acquired seat in the €250 game - a night I might not be able to arrange.

Anyway - I will probably target the Wedneday or Sunday game as my regular game and hit the Thursday game if i am lucky enough to get out twice in one week - but the €50 Friday night game looks awful tempting ;)

Hyzepher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Yeah the two guys across from me on table 3 (again I don't know their names on boards) were saying exactly the same thing. Maybe you were one of them? :) I made the sad, sad mistake of watching poker on TV before going in last night and literally threw away 3/4 of my chips in the first two hands. Then I switched back to a more passive-tight style of playing and did much better .. just popping up every now and then to win enough chips later on. But yeah; there's nothing more annoying than people going all-in with 105o or something crazy like that because they're willing to spend another €10 in a heartbeat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Originally posted by casper-
    Yeah the two guys across from me on table 3 (again I don't know their names on boards) were saying exactly the same thing. Maybe you were one of them? :)

I was - blue t-shirt

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Ahh ok :) I think it might be more fun to pay even €20 up front, start with say 2500 in chips or whatever, and have no buy-ins, top-ups or anything like that. I think it would force everyone to play a little bit better, and if they didn't, well that's their own problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    I was - blue t-shirt

Hyzepher

Was that you who knocked me out with a j-10 against my 77?
    I can recognise the boards ppl by now, but linking real people with secret online identities is still tricky.

You'd think I'd be used to it after the years of quake.

Greg

I didn't even know Muso was there. I'm more used to finding him hiding in the shadows of RA on dm3 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'd agree with you Hyzepher. The Fitz on a thursday seems to suit those people who play anything early on, hit lucky cards and build a stack that way. Norman bought in about 5 times at my table, he *called* all-in bets with 45o and managed to hit 2 pair. Thats not poker but it is the way to play if you want to win a €250 ticket.

I'm getting very tempted these days to play Sundays and Fridays. It costs a bit of cash, but if you're willing to spend €30 on a thursday free-for-all then €50 or €60 isn't too much of a stretch. And you actually have a chance of winning some cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

I couldn't make it last night so am itching for a bit of poker tonight. What game is it in Fitzwilliam on a Friday? I know in Merrion its a €25 buy-in with some ridiculous amount of re-buys possbile, which unless you have deep pockets puts you at a serious disadvantage to some of the old boys in there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Friday is the €50+€5 entry + 1 top-up OR rebuy for €50 - very good standard and the REAL type of poker

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Ah boys let's not get to down hearted. Your time will come. It does get frustrating I agree. Last night some youngster called my raise with 5,10. I had Kings but he hits 2 tens - that's the sort of crap you have to put up with. I'm not a maniac at the table and I have won 4 tickets so there's hope for you all yet.

Played my final hand so badly last night I deserved to be shot. Had crap cards but was in on the BB and a small raise. Checkedy check all the way down to the river and I get a 7 high flush with four spades on the board. With 2 players to act I put in a raise of about 2000ish, I should have just checked it - 7 high with 4 spades on the board ain't that great. I get raised all in, I knew i was probably beaten but called for 2400ish more. Sure enough he had the Ace high flush. If I had of checked it there's no way I would I have called the re-raise but I was pot committed once I put in my raise. Anyway, that's another lesson for me to remember.

Next week is the 250 so it's time to remember all the lesson's I have been learning and try catch some of them sharks.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah I agree with DD, I play the Thursday night for a laugh more then realistically expecting to win. Its a lottery alright but you *do* have an ability to adjust the odds in your favour. And its free table time for anyone just starting.

Hyzepher, given you have time constraints I know what you mean about the Thursdays and wanting to play some proper poker. I *highly* recommend the Wed or Sunday nights as they are only 20 in and 3x20 rebuys (or 2 rebuys and a top up). Generally there is no messing about and the standard is a lot higher. A *lot* higher.

You are generally playing a field of 30 reasonably serious players but the last 5 get paid so you have a decent shot at the money. I got 2nd last week and picked up 250 for a 40 quid stake....

Its not mad money and the prize is decent and you have decent shot at it.

Also, anyone who is throwing 40-50 a week at the Thursday night game is bonkers. Save that money and add 70 to it and you have your ticket for certain. If you dont win it with a freein and a topup, forget it.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

My perfect idea of a night in the Fitz would be something along the lines of a €50 freezeout, with about 40-50 players.
    You start with 4000 chips, and the blinds go up slowly, starting at 25-50 or something. That means that even if you get a couple of beats that you still have maybe 1000 chips left with reasonable blinds. At least you can bring it back.

With 40-50 players, there'd be a decent prize fund to pay out most of the last table.
    And since its a freezeout people are less likely to go in on trash, and less likely to go all-in on marginals.

I was sorely tempted by the cash games on thursday last after I was knocked out early. I wish there was a €50 holdem cash game, I don't like having to learn Omaha at those scary tables.

• Advertisement
Advertisement