Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for schools

Options
  • 19-03-2004 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

I don't think this is news or anything and maybe it's been discussed already, but there's apparently this government programme to spend €18m to connect _all_ primary and secondary schools to broadband by the end of the year. Just curious, how the hell are they going to do that? A lot of schools are surely out of broadband reach? Satellite with a nice low cap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Forgive my ignorance but how the hell would it cost that amount to hook schools up with broadband?

assuming 1000 schools (note: i'm pulling this figure out of thin air) that's 18 grand each?

I dunno, seems a little steep for a DSL line to me...
    Even if a school needs a PC or two you're still only adding 2000 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Many are small and rural, See This

About €5000 per school I'd say.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

There are over 3,000 state-funded primary schools in Ireland alone, and as muck says many of these are small and remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Aah, i didnt realise it was so many, that figure's looking a little more realistic now, still seems a little high, but certainly more believeable...

Advertisement