Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Win/Lose this week?

Options
  • 18-03-2004 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭

So how well (or badly) did you do this week? I'm down about €150.... pretty damn poor.

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

ye terrible week, best mate recouped a bit had 200 to win one, end up down 125 for the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

I guess i put on about 300 over the three days and won about 700.
    i had hardy eustace e.w,maximise e.w,merchants friend e.w ,court shareef e.w, total enjoyment win,and top strategy and hawadeth e.w today.the later was very unlucky not to win at 50/1.if u losing punters lost this week get on vodka bleu on saturday at uttoxeter.big big chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by The jock
    I guess i put on about 300 over the three days and won about 700.
    i had hardy eustace e.w,maximise e.w,merchants friend e.w ,court shareef e.w, total enjoyment win,and top strategy and hawadeth e.w today.the later was very unlucky not to win at 50/1.if u losing punters lost this week get on vodka bleu on saturday at uttoxeter.big big chance.
    Any idea what kind of odds it'll be at?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

8/1 or bigger
    back it e.w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

will paddy power online be covering that race?

do they not do odds until the day of the actual race?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

it's the race favourite at 4-1 ...

is it worth the each way bet at those odds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

im a betfair man myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Yep, BETFAIR exclusively for me too. Peer-to-peer betting without the middleman(bookie) gives you odds at least 20% better than the betting offices consistently.
    And, if you wish, you can LAY a "Bismark" as well.

Only downside might be that you can't do accumulator bets ......... but these are "mug" bets anyway IMHO.

only thing about betfair is some people know too much, and you always get done laying horses. Well maybe not always, but you wont win laying on betfair, maybe the odd lay but your better off just backing.

also another thing is your connection has to be good on this site, ive a crappy dial up internet with 56 kbps modem, nearly everytime i put in a bet, it says it is unmatched and when i go to cancel it it has been matched, i wouldnt mind but it always seems to be that the bet i layed is the winner.

• Advertisement

Hell, Healio, two short paragraphs and yet you've covered so much!

It is very true to say it is impossible (long-term) to show a profit LAYING bets on Betfair. I agree absolutely. The odds are against you. If a horse is , say, 3/1 with the books then there will likely be 7/2 or better available on Betfair. This in turn means that if you want to LAY that horse you will have to offer around 4/1 to get any action. You are laying 4/1 about a horse that has realistically a 3/1 chance. Long term you will be a loser. However, if you feel that a particular horse is a certainty to lose (or if you have inside info a la BALLINGER RIDGE) then the betting exchanges give you the only opportunity to lay a bet.

Originally posted by Healio
    nearly everytime i put in a bet, it says it is unmatched and when i go to cancel it it has been matched, i wouldnt mind but it always seems to be that the bet i layed is the winner.

Yes in a fast-moving market where the price of your horse is contracting this can happen. But the way around this is to offer a price 2 percent below the price indicated on the BET frame of the screen. For example, if a horse is showing at 5.5 in the "BET" section, then you type in 5.48 into the bottom rt hand corner window along with you amount. This will almost always guarantee your bet will be matched. Of course, if the horse you fancy is drifting out in price, either hold your fire or type in a price HIGHER than the best price of offer in the BET section.

For example, on Paddy's Day I really strongly fancied Newtownshandrum in the Club Hurling Chmpship. The best price available on Betfair was 1.59 ( 2/5 with the Books). I typed in 1.75 to a 100 euro bet (odds of 3/4) and went out to "wet the Shamrock".The bet was subsequently matched before play to someone who LAYED the 1.75.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    but use it for other Sports. I got odds of 80-1 on Ireland to win the Six Nations and was able to lay at 8-1 on the same bet recently,

Heh heh, Dave, in my previous post I was thinking about pointing out this advantage re LAYING a bet that Betfair gives us. It's the opportunity to indulge in A_R_B_I_T_R_A_G_E. But, then, I thought I could be getting a bit too technical, maybe.

All my betting nowadays (to serious money) is arbitrage ........ buying and selling the odds. Betfair gives me the freedom to LAY a price that I have previously "bought" at higher odds. E.G., your Six Nations arbitrage and my BEEF AND SALMON (horse) backed at 20/1 and layed at 12's. Good arbitrage guarantees you're a winner irrespective of the outcome of the contest.

That is the one good thing about Betfair; locking in a profit. I used to do the sunday football get up do the premiership + match then the super sunday, used to back next goal and all the in running stuff available, i have a huge football profit, but when the football is over im dyin for a flutter and subsequently end up tryin back winners and lay donkeys on the american racing, but the donkeys always win, which costs me an awful lot of money:eek:. but ive overcome this habit recently thank god!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

up 980 on wed, lost 40 thursday, so that's 940.not a bad festival

Advertisement