Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all-in scenario question

Options
  • 18-03-2004 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

ok picture this scenario:

preflop:
    player A goes all in with 150 chips
    player B calls
    player C calls
    other players fold

flop:
    player B bets 40 chips
    player C calls

turn:
    player B bets 40 chips
    player C folds

river:
    player A has highest hand with trips, player B has 2 pair

OK, now does player C get his 40 chips back from his call on the flop, or since he folded at the turn, do these chips automatically go to player B ?

this situation came up the other night in, and some players were insisting the according WSOP rules, player C would get his 40 chips back, I would have previously thought that he has forfeit his 40 chips by folding ?

cheers,
    jAH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

From my reading of it player B and player C's chips would go into a side pot after the flop and B would win all the sidepot when player C folds even before he gets into a showdown with player A they're all his.

I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

mr gent is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

One thing that kinda annoys me in a situation like the one above is that when Player C calls the all in above and then folds later under betting pressure from a third party in the form of Player B is that he loses all interest in the all in he originally called.

I would prefer a situation where C folds and loses the side pot to B but can still have a showdown with A and B for the main pot made up of the all in he called.

It just seems fairer and I think it was done that way on Late Night Poker on Channel Four when I was first watching it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you fold out of the side pot you sure as sh*t dont get it back!!! God I'd love that..
    "bet!"
    *turn comes with muck*
    "Oh I'm sorry, didnt like that card, can I have my money back... cheers bud!"

I dont think so...

Also, too bad for him if he loses his stake in the big pot, thats a good call by Player B... he's reduced the number of people who can beat him to winning that pot. Sounds smart to me!

The only time I've seen when you shouldnt bet your hand is at final table when a small stack is making a stand. Then it is best to let as many people see all the cards as possible to kinda "gang up" on the small stack and improve the odds that *someone* is gonna beat him and reduce the table size. In that way its like predators working together to take down a wounded gazelle, they may cooperate for the kill for the greater good but its right back to scrapping immediately after :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Originally posted by DeVore

The only time I've seen when you shouldnt bet your hand is at final table when a small stack is making a stand. Then it is best to let as many people see all the cards as possible to kinda "gang up" on the small stack and improve the odds that *someone* is gonna beat him and reduce the table size. In that way its like predators working together to take down a wounded gazelle, they may cooperate for the kill for the greater good but its right back to scrapping immediately after :)

DeV.

Dont know if I agree with that. If I was at the final table and had a big stake in the main pot, I think I would be concentrating on getting the pot rather than knocking someone out. I see the benefit of getting someone out - especially in the Thursday game where the same prize is given out - but checking it down is not always the best option if you can force the other bettor off the hand - afterall it may be that player who wins the pot and you are down chips as a result.

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, if I have a monster I'll still look to get paid from the other players, it really pisses them off but... *shrug*... if I dont have a monster I'll be checking like the others to see if I can hit something along the way and secondaraily see if we can put him out. If he's the last person to go before equal prizes or a deal is done, I wouldnt bet, even with a monster.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

There's some of the Fitz regulars that don't like it if you bet after there's one player all in. They seem to think that you should always check it down if there's a chance of a player being eliminated.
    But don't ever be afriad if you think you've the nuts to try and get some value out of players with chips left. They'd do it to you if they thought they could get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Originally posted by DapperGent
    still have a showdown with A and B for the main pot made up of the all in he called.

It just seems fairer and I think it was done that way on Late Night Poker on Channel Four when I was first watching it.

I'm sure that is not true - the rules are: if you fold you get no chips,.I have watched all the Late Nite Poker series and never remember anyone contesting a pot after they had folded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

thanx for clearing that up, that is exactly what i had believed was the case - if u fold after an all-in call, you're out and ain't gonna get any of those chips back.

some poker heads were insistent in a game last week that a folding player can get his side-pot money back in such a situation assuming the all-in player wins (and even if another player is still in the betting) which sounded crazy to me.

won 70squid last night all-in heads up with pocket aces (against JQs) wehey!

jAH

Advertisement