Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Wireless broadband

Options
  • 16-03-2004 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Don't know whether it is a preemptive strike against true wireless broadband or just a marketting drone using buzzwords they don't understand but I just spotted this on eircoms site
    eircom wireless broadband at home
    eircom's wireless home products make the dream of wireless, mobile surfing a reality.

Of course they don't mean real wireless broadband they mean a dsl line linked to a a wireless router. So are they deliberately misleading to damage the potential competition or are they just thick

<edit> Some more details
    What is eircom wireless broadband at home?
    Share Broadband with the family, create a wireless home network From the hallway into the living room and beyond. eircom's wireless home products make the dream of mobile high-speed surfing a reality.
    experience the benefits of high-speed, "always on" Internet and e-mail access anywhere in the home without the need for wires. the Self install Netopia 4 port ethernet wireless router will enable broadband access within a radius of 100m. multiple family users can connect simultaneously to the internet.
    What do I need to avail of wireless broadband at home? To avail of eircom wireless broadband at home you need a router and a lan card or lan adapter. You also need a broadband connection.
    Choose from;
    Netopia 3347W wireless 802.11b router and A Wireless PCMCIA LAN card or A Wireless USB LAN Adapter
    How much does it cost?
    Wireless PCMCIA LAN card: 49 (inc.VAT)
    Wireless USB LAN Adapter card: 49 (inc .VAT)
    Netopia wireless router: 149 (inc. VAT)

Please note: Orders will not be taken through eircom.ie until mid-march. To order now call 1800 503 303. eircom broadband monthly charges for will also apply, currently 54.45 (inc. VAT). VAT is currently charged @ 21%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by MarVeL
    Don't know whether it is a preemptive strike against true wireless broadband or just a marketting drone using buzzwords they don't understand but I just spotted this on eircoms site

Its been there for a while now .. there are other threads in this forum about it.

Originally posted by MarVeL
    Of course they don't mean real wireless broadband they mean a dsl line linked to a a wireless router. So are they deliberately misleading to damage the potential competition or are they just thick

I can see how it could be easily confused with, say, IBB's service.. but it still is wireless broadband. Broadband refers to the amount of bandwidth available, rather than the service/product offering. So much and all as I dislike eircom, I can't see that they're overstepping the mark here.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

For Eircom's wireless broadband you must already have broadband. Of course you could always buy it for the wireless LAN aspect and share out your dial-up or ISDN connection.

The purpose is probably twofold.

1. Make a bit of money selling the kit.
    2. Sew a bit of confusion in the politicians and make it seem that Eircom are doing something with regard to broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

eircom's wireless home products make the dream of wireless, mobile surfing a reality.
    Provide Free Broadband for your neighbours!

Funny they don't mention that on the ad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i had an odd reply when complaining about my dsl access (or lack thereof) and the line in the email said

"However, I can confirm that eircom will launch a Radio/Satellite broadband product on April 1st. If you contact 1901 after this date they will advise what number you can call for further details on the product."

now to me that means proper broadband access by wireless although they wouldn't reply as where or how they are planning to deploy said access.

although in typical eircom fashion it is being launched april 1 st so we'll have to see what sort of joke it ens up being.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Muck (I think) said a few weeks ago that he heard rumblings that eircom are going to team up with a satellite provider so they can boast about '100% broadband coverage' for the country. Gits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement