Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up webserver to run aspx pages.

Options
  • 16-03-2004 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Should aspx pages open/execute properly on a webserver with .NET 1.0 installed, or do you need NET 1.1 installed? When browse to the pages on localhost they don;t open properly. The default page doesn;t open by default, and the aspx link on it doesn;t work. If I browse to anyo fthe other pages it tiries to download them, instead of opening them in the browser. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hmmm... Are you using IIS or something else with a thrid-party plugin?

You'll only need to use .NET1.1 if you are going to be programming in .NET 2003, but its advisable to upgrade anyhow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

iis.
    Don't think the pages were done using .NET 2003. I didn't write them, and don't know asp.net. I need to run them on this machine to test them and write help docs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 flats

What OS are you running?

XP Pro, SP 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 flats

Do you have the aspx files somewhere in the inetpub folder, or is the folder they are in set for web sharing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

On Win2k you need to have service pack 3 or 4 installed for .Net to run. Maybe you need to upgrade service packs on Win XP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

try this at the command line.

Aspnet_regiis -i

Installs the version of ASP.NET associated with Aspnet_regiis.exe and updates the scriptmaps at the IIS metabase root and below.

I have used it before, it does the script mappings so IIS knows what to do when a request for an aspx page comes in. If you don't have that exe then the framework is not installed. If you are running a Win2k server and are hosting multiple websites then you have to run this command after you create a new website because the default setup is for ASP only, regardless of whether or not the .net framework is installed.

Thanks for your help.

The problem occurred because IIS was installed after .NET on my PC. Uninstalling them and reinstalling them (and installing IIS first) seems to have fixed it.

Now, however I am getting an ASP error saying that a virtual directory is probably not configured as an application in IIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

go into IIS
    right click the web in questions
    select all tasks->check server extensions

select No if asked to tighten Front page security
    then try it

Advertisement