Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using mp3's in VB. NEED HELP!

Options
  • 15-03-2004 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

does anyone know anything about using mp3's in VB ? i am making a Music Synthesizer (for my thesis). It is a similar sort of idea to Dance Ejay and those sort of programs.

Basically, i need to be able to play several mp3's at the same time, but the Media Player component in VB only allows one mp3 at a time.

There is also a command called 'sndSound' but this can only play .wav files, as far as i know.

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

my thesis has to be handed up in 2 weeks so i need to know a.s.a.p.

thanx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

you might want to check out the visual basic directx sdk, and play around with directsound. It should be just the trick for the mixing you'd require...

not that I have a clue about vb, lol just a sugestion :-)

find it here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=066bebeb-9f26-4606-97df-015c9f15f53a&displaylang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

hold on - this is a troll right ?
    ..I'm on to you.

in case this is real:
    are you talking VB or VB.NET ?
    you might look at an audio stream - you could write audio data to a stream / socket from several sources and have a listener at the far end turning it into sound. that'd solve your 'one source' only problem.

your only problem then is turning the contents of this stream into audio feed. There must be some interpreter that'd do this.

edit: having googled for a min, I agree: DirectSound seems to offer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Would this be a bad time to mention that mp3 is a propriatory standard owned by the Fraunhofer Institute, and by creating an encoder / decoder you technically owe them royalties?

I wont tell if you don't! :p

I am not a troll, apology accepted yossarin.

Direct Sound is a good API for multiple sound sources. However I haven't touched VB in over a year, hence my uncertain tone. My above link is for the last SDK released for VB, VB.Net is a different matter entirely it has full a 9.0b sdk, which is nice…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GoodBuzz

thanx for the replys. i think i will have to try Direct Sound. really hope it works.

mr. angry - well martin. whats the craic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GoodBuzz

mr. angry - well. its ian. and my heads ****in' wrecked with this thesis! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

slartibardfast -
    sorry mate - case of concurrent postings :) I was refering to the original poster.
    I found it hard to believe that anyone would leave somthing *so* late.

Your suggestion was actually more productive than mine.

never even saw that angle, lol the lazy student that I am

I found a cool link that sort of impiles that it is ok to use the inbuilt windows decoder(56kbits/encode) that ms licensed, well it talks about it anyway...
    http://www.rookscape.com/vbgaming/tutAW.php

there is also a vb-directsound tutorial linked by that page here:
    http://www.rookscape.com/vbgaming/tutP.php has some nice source code examples.

good luck,

Advertisement