Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Ping times

Options
  • 15-03-2004 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Possibly not in right forum but seemed like most appropriate...

I'm just wondering why it is that Eircom, the largest net provider in the country, has such poor ping times for online gaming? When compared to IOL and OceanFree, they are about 40% worse for an isdn line :/

Is there anything we can do about this as customers? Is it possible they need to use something like Stac compression to improve the service and a few e-mails may help?

Now the obvious answer is "Why not just switch to IOL Anytime" but we've had massive problems with them and their quite frankly terrible technical support when trying to use that service with ISDN.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Anytime supports ISDN. Not sure what support you need. I used to use the service with a D-Link ISDN router, and just put in the phone number, username and password, and it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Yeah well the Eircom Anytime service which we're now using was no problem, just gave them the number of the second (ISDN) line, connected no worries.
    When we tried to sign up with IOL Anytime, we gave them that same number. After getting signed up, we couldn't connect to their service. Their technical support/customer care, when they weren't putting us on hold, then said they would have to use out main phone number. However, they said they couldn't guarantee we would still be able to receive voice calls on the main number then :?
    So I'm stuck on Eircom's service and I mean while its working fine, in terms of online gaming its a pity that its so poor ping-wise for ISDN, definitely in comparison to IOL and OceanFree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Assuming your Eircom hi-speed box is set up correctly, you should still be able to receive calls on the main number, even if it is used to connect to the internet.

That is how I had it set up, and it just worked is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

When I was on Eircom ISDN (well actually Indigo) I found them to be the best for online gaming. Its the same now with DSL. Maybe try setting up the dial up connection again using Default settings, you may have changed something beforehand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Everything is set to default - just as an example, most UK servers for me would ping at about 100 on Eircom and around the 60 mark with IOL/Oceanfree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement