Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line rental Poser?

Options
  • 15-03-2004 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

heres an interesting question...

Eircom have been increasing the line rental at will
    and as we know, you need!!!! the land line to get RDSL/ADSL installed

And even if you got DSL for a fiver a month it will realy cost you
    €30 a month because of line rental per person

SO! why can we have a single Group data(only) line shared with several accounts accessing!?"?? im sure i seen 2MBs bandwith so why cant we share!? ;)
    ??
    im talking about sharing within a community or estate

Make a hell lot more sence than each of us having a single line and paying line rental on each

mUcho good eh? :D

make any sence to anyone else??

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well I'm sure the T&C's in the contract don't allow this, however I know more then a few people do this on the quiet, sharing their DSL with neighbours using wireless.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

T&C's allow sharing on the more expensive products but not on the "solo" (the name is a clue) one.

AFAIK EU law is supposed to allow you to share but...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    Make a hell lot more sence than each of us having a single line and paying line rental on each

€ircon still get line rental for voice services though - unless you're planning on using mobiles only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kirracol

I agree with Bone Collector.
    The three main companies that offer Broadband that I'm aware of in Eircom Esat and UTV IP. The best value is UTV IP in my opipion. Biggest problem is that Eircom control the line no matter what company you choose. We originally went to sign up with Eircom but changed our minds. Done this within the 14 days but Eircom are extremely slow in releasing the line once you choose to go with them. Had to ring several different numbers and each time they tell you a different story. Total hell dealing with them and the worst is we have no choice at all.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

my point is
    DSL is a network like any other network
    the only reason you need a specific land line is to be assigned a phone number and the line is an exclusive one (obviously because your not going to want people listening into your conversations)

But with DSL there is no need to have an exclusive line to log on to a network
    so it should be possible to share the same line.
    Given that each account requres a user name and password
    each user is seperated by a uinique IP address
    any terms and conditions of your account is still controled by the server.

this idea that we all need a seperate land line to connect to dsl is a bit old hat and only realy applies to Voice services not data.

there for, i would think it should be possible to have a single line to allow multible user access, removing the requirement to need a deditacted privite line just for dsl.
    since you would still be accessing your own account and not sharing other accounts you cannot violate any terms and conditions on the dsl contract.

yes i know if you still want to make phone calls well you use your privite land line and you pay the rental.
    But for data, i would think there should not be the need to KEEP! your expensive private line, just to access the Network.

I suppose my real point is.. unless your going to set this up yourself i cant see any reason why ercom or any other telco cannot provide a generic landline to serve multible users on the network and reduce the cost of dsl overall removing the requirement to have to use a dedicated privite landline.

i suppose the other way of looking at it is..
    if one person has access to the DSL network, then one should be able to install something like a DSL HUB to share the connection to the network, with each user still logging on with a unique user name and password just like on regular networks??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes - In some other countries you can get DSL without needing a phone number or voice serivces, calls in to your mobile - calls out via VOIP - not rocket science.

Imagine - there are people in other countries who have got rid of their land lines because they consider HALF of our line rental to be too much..

Someone else may have a link

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If you're on an unbundled exchange you can get EsatBT Business DSL, which is just the DSL, nothing else.
    The line rental is *kinda* built-in to that I suppose, but you're not paying it to Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I agree with BC, it should be possible to have such a scheme. I'm sick to death at Eircom peddling the monthly cost of BB to be €39.99 when infact you're nearly doubling it when line rental is included. I can't justify the €65 cost especially considering I only use a mobile for calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Quite a number of phone lines wont be able to support a 'high' bandwidth DSL connection in the first place. You could well end up contending with each other over your phone line. There's also the problem of getting your connection from the phone box to your router. It would be far better for eircom to start offering a 'naked dsl' service like esat offer over lines in their unbundled exchanges.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by SyxPak
    If you're on an unbundled exchange you can get EsatBT Business DSL, which is just the DSL, nothing else.
    The line rental is *kinda* built-in to that I suppose, but you're not paying it to Eircom.
    Are you sure? I agree it ought to be that way, but when I asked EsatBT about business DSL from an unbundled exchange (Ballina) they told me I needed an Eircom line, for which I pay Eircom line rental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You need an eircom line to start with.. but esat can disconnect the line from voice services once they're in control of it. The only service offered over the line is then adsl.. no voice/other services, so no line rental payable to eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

They can also order a new line for you - order you a spare pair, so you son't have to order a line from eircom

Originally posted by Moriarty:
    You need an eircom line to start with.. but esat can disconnect the line from voice services once they're in control of it. The only service offered over the line is then adsl.. no voice/other services, so no line rental payable to eircom.
    Is it completely unreasonable of me to expect them to actually tell me that? I'd better check back in with them later today.
    Originally posted by query:
    They can also order a new line for you - order you a spare pair, so you son't have to order a line from eircom
    They explicitly told me that they couldn't do this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You're surprised that Esat is incompetent oscarBravo?

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    You're surprised that Esat is incompetent oscarBravo?
    I know I shouldn't be, but it still boggles my mind just how hard they're prepared to push me to do business with Eircom instead of themselves. I'm resisting vigorously, but sooner or later they'll succeed.

Advertisement