Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Objective C Programming Language

Options
  • 15-03-2004 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

taken from http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/index.html
    Objective-C is an extension of standard ANSI C , existing C programs can be adapted to use the software frameworks without losing any of the work that went into their original development. Since Objective-C incorporates C, you get all the benefits of C when working within Objective-C. You can choose when to do something in an object-oriented way (define a new class, for example) and when to stick to procedural programming techniques (define a structure and some functions instead of a class).

I am reading the pdf http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/ObjC.pdf as i type.. So my query is this. Have any of you programming folk heard of Objective C before? If you're a /. reader i'm sure you have. And if you have heard of Objective C - have you ever used it? What about you guys working in I.T? Does your company employ and Objective C programmers? Or have you written any Objective C code to help with any project you're doing / have done? The pdf is certainly an interesting read, and i'd recommend reading it, to all code geeks on boards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hmmm... Kinda reminds me of D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Having done a fair amount of OS9/X development, the only way Objective-C is going to help you is if you :

a) are employed by Apple
    b) like coding for free in your own time making OS X shareware
    c) have an awful lot of free time on your hands and just pick up a new 'methodology' of programming -- I have to say it's _interesting_ at the very least

Having said that, it would be very difficult finding a job in it, and unless you have tons of experience in it already, convincing a company that's doing a Mac port to use it over Carbon / PowerPlant X is gonna be pretty difficult.

I'll say it again though, it's neat and fun to play around with for a while :)

Advertisement