Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for info on eircom hi-speed

Options
  • 15-03-2004 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've got a pretty crap dial up connection (it's so bad i'm not going to tell you what speeds I get - just trust me their awful), and I was thinking of switching to Hi-speed but I was wondering if I would be assured of getting a 64kb connection all the time.
    I'm suppose to get 56kb on a normal dial up but mines not even close, so I'm curious if it will be the same with hi-speed (ie. not as good it's suppose to be).:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

What are you actually connecting at? 46.6-48 is a good speed, and I usually get 48.0, with the odd 49.2. I'm not sure what kind of connection speeds are normal on ISDN though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you get hi speed you'll get 64k 100% of the time

well i have and i've had it 1 1/2 years - 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

First off, ISDN will only connect at 64kbps, no matter what (I know there may be issues with errors, so please do not correct me!)

Second, latency is quite a bit lower on ISDN. I have not used it recently, but as far as I recall latency was between 20 and 50ms typically, to fast servers. Usually around 40ms.

Generally, ISDN feels about twice as fast as 56k, especially for gaming. It isn't broadband though, not even close. But if it is all you can get, it's worth it, especially if you are currently often connecting at below 40kbps, and/or the line drops a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

Thanks for the replies!
    My connectionis always sub 40kbps, so Urban Weigl your probably right and Hi-speed looks like the way to go.
    I don't do any gaming on line so any issues with latency should not be a prob(I hope).
    I just hope my site survey passes the test otherwise I'll have to save up about a grand for a satellite.:(

You ppl with BB don't know how lucky you are.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Latency is important for web browsing as well. ISDN is well worth the 10 euro a month extra. You have a extra line and can cancel any exta analogue lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by limpdd
    Thanks for the replies!
    My connectionis always sub 40kbps......
    I just hope my site survey passes the test otherwise I'll have to save up about a grand for a satellite.:(

You ppl with BB don't know how lucky you are.:D

Well, not to discourage you, but don't hold your breath.

I have 56k access and I'm too far for BB. So last July I decided to opt for ISDN given that my connection speeds were becoming verty erratic, plummeting from 42-45k down to 28k.

Got the Eircom engineer out to do the installation only to discover that (despite being close enough for ISDN - I gather there's an issue with distance here also), the line quality was crap. Eircom (or probably the P&T) decided at the time they installed the line outside on the road, that rather than use proper cable, they'd recycle the cable which was used to connect two exchanges together. And guess what - it don't support ISDN!

So, unless I move house, or they build a new exchange near to me(which was hinted at by the engineer), I'm stuck with 56k. Which I might add, is doing weird things again - I'm down in the 30's in terms of access speeds for the last few weeks.

Oh, and Eircom will tell you that the line is fine, 'cos they have no obligation to supply a phone line which can carry data traffic.

Are there any viable alternatives out there???? I priced satellite, but its crazy (€80 a month on top of almost €1000 to fit excl VAT!). I'm not too sure about wireless as I'm not really in los of any high areas and there are a few trees in the vicinity. Is there something about Eircom supplying ISDN by wireless? I thought someone mentioned it in here once, but I can't find the thread.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by Delphi91
    the line quality was crap. Eircom (or probably the P&T) decided at the time they installed the line outside on the road, that rather than use proper cable, they'd recycle the cable which was used to connect two exchanges together. And guess what - it don't support ISDN!

Oh, and Eircom will tell you that the line is fine, 'cos they have no obligation to supply a phone line which can carry data traffic.

You need to persistently report voice line faults to 1901, particularly when it rains. This procedure has been outlined in various previous threads, and is the only way you might get action on your substandard wiring.

Originally posted by tomk
    You need to persistently report voice line faults to 1901, particularly when it rains. This procedure has been outlined in various previous threads, and is the only way you might get action on your substandard wiring.

I've been down that road. I have had problems with water leaking into a junction box outside the house, causing static and crackling on the line. The only thing is, how can I keep reporting faults when there aren't any in terms of voice, but I have progressively worsening data connections, especially when Eircom have no obligation in terms of a minimum level of data service?

They have replaced the line in from the pole on the road - even given me wire with about 20 different phone lines in it!

The problem is the wire on the road, from what I can determine.

I know that the neighbours were having some work done and I believe that the engineer told them that he was surprised that any of us had a decent phone service considering the state of the lines!

Mike

Lots of drunks wondering about this time of year. Someone could easily damage the junction box...

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Lots of drunks wondering about this time of year. Someone could easily damage the junction box...

Hehe, that's very true!

Only problem is, in my case, the drunk would have to get into my back garden (not too unreasonable, I guess!), find the manhole cover, lift it up (quite heavy it is too) and then fall into the hole, damaging said wires.

So, considering all the laws of probablility and the fact that my nearest pub is about 2 miles down the road (a country road at that), I think my chances of a drunk helping me out is somewhere betwen slim and none :(

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Yes, there is no guarantee of getting ISDN with €ircon either. Do a search on isdn under my boards name for details of my scenario. Basically, a patched up network thats so bad, they cant fix it. (course, they could just replace it but that would go against current corporate policy!).

What about fixing it yourself? And send Eircom the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

how can I keep reporting faults when there aren't any in terms of voice,

An old trick used by a guy I knew, whenever people phoned looking for an overdue cheque, was to scrunch up a tayto bag into the phone and pretend he could'nt hear because of the bad line. He got away with it for years. Try it with Biddy

jbkenn

Advertisement