Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox Chipless Mod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

just search xbox in this forum ( there was posts b4 about it), or just check out www.xbox-scene.com. I wouldnt buy anything like that from ebay, it'll more than likely break your xbox. I think u have to have some james bond game to do it, something strange like that anyways. Better off probably buying a chip, and putting it in yourself or gettin someone else 2 do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by kaisersose77
    just search xbox in this forum ( there was posts b4 about it), or just check out www.xbox-scene.com. I wouldnt buy anything like that from ebay, it'll more than likely break your xbox. I think u have to have some james bond game to do it, something strange like that anyways. Better off probably buying a chip, and putting it in yourself or gettin someone else 2 do it.

Yeah - I put in a mod in my xbox - but really looking for a cheap and hassle free way of doing a second box for the sis.

I had read about that 007 hack on the www.xbox-scene.com already.
    And I just noticed the other thread about it - but I dont own this game and its not
    one I think I would play.

But someday someone will manage to produce a cd with valid signed keys without the help of microsoft? I thought this cd might have have done the trick as all his feedback is positive - looks like everyone who bought the cd managed to flash their bios ok....

Does anyone here read German?

“Roll it back”

Originally posted by ozmo
    Yeah - I put in a mod in my xbox - but really looking for a cheap and hassle free way of doing a second box for the sis.

I had read about that 007 hack on the www.xbox-scene.com already.
    And I just noticed the other thread about it - but I dont own this game and its not
    one I think I would play.

But someday someone will manage to produce a cd with valid signed keys without the help of microsoft? I thought this cd might have have done the trick as all his feedback is positive - looks like everyone who bought the cd managed to flash their bios ok....

Does anyone here read German?

Just got a reply from the Germanium - hopes are dashed...
    ah well - out with the soldering iron.

Hi ,

i'm sending within europe, so the postage will be about 2 euros higher, which makes a total of 3,44 euros.

unfortunately the mod only works when the xbox is opened, it requires the "007 Line of fire" game.

maybe this will help:
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php

greets

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

it can be done with mechassault or with splinter cell too - there are various ways of doing it - i'd recommend a solder mod of course ;) but if you want to get tsopping i've got auf and splinter cell - you still need to solder 2 points on the board

pm me and we'll sort something out

Nige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i'd only get a solder mod if you want to use xbox live at some stage

i'd say that cd is probably the evox or slayers auto installer or else the new fire****ers x-disk,

• Advertisement

WhoooHu!!

Thanks elmer,

But I managed to mod the XBOX without a chip or the Mechassault or 007 disks which I didnt have.

I used the hot swap method and the Bert and Ernie Fonts exploit (you power up PC and XBOX - then remove the Hardisk without powering it down and plug it into the powered up PC - scary stuff but worked very well).
    The exploit boots a different bios&os off the hardisk without any solder or having to flash it anywhere.

I tried the often mentioned Audio exploit - but it just did nothing on my xbox :dunno:

XBOX is a version 1.5 (latest revision with the lower cost components)
    so most of the hacks and bioses wouldnt work - had to pick and mix Bios loaders and Bios to find combination that would work.

Supposed to work with Live - but not really interested - tried Live once and it just wasnt for me.

I believe there is the potential for it to mess up when the xbox looses its time (which it does too often) - If I find it true I might try flashing a new bios over the built in bios.
    Does anyone know a Bios that will definitely work - as I will probably only get
    one shot at it =:O

“Roll it back”

how could you tell it was a v1.5 - they're identical to v1.4s afaik - til you stick a schip on ;)

evox m7 and x2 4981 both work on newer xboxs - make sure you're using the 256k version rather than older 1mb style - if it's a winbond tsop then you won't be able to erase it with evox i'll outline that if it's the case

i presume you already know the points to jumper

if you screw up you'll need a modchip to fix it but the board is recoverable from a bad tsop flash - it's just a pain

Originally posted by elmer
    how could you tell it was a v1.5 - they're identical to v1.4s afaik - til you stick a schip on ;)

evox m7 and x2 4981 both work on newer xboxs - make sure you're using the 256k version rather than older 1mb style - if it's a winbond tsop then you won't be able to erase it with evox i'll outline that if it's the case

if you screw up you'll need a modchip to fix it but the board is recoverable from a bad tsop flash - it's just a pain

Good to know its recoverable :)
    Thanks .
    Havent flashed yet -
    So far the software exploits are Not as good as a chip. But I'm enjoying the challenge to get it working.

Problems so far:
    1. Only BIOS loader I could find to work "Phoenix 1.4.1" pops up everytime with a Dos looking screen and bad logo every boot time - to ask you what bios you want to load - even if there is only one. Works I suppose but just a usless delay in booting.

2. I tried the July25th version of Bert & Ernie fonts exploit and left the XBOX without power overnight - this evening the clock had reset and the xbox got stuck in a loop resetting over and over. I left it and it got itself out after 15 minutes. I'll try tonight with the Bert & Ernie Reloaded (I love the naming of all this stuff) to see if it fixes this.

3. You cannot boot with a DVD in the drive. Game will not play. have to boot first then put in game.

4. The Leds are flashing Red-Off-Red-Off all the time (I think its Phoenix Bootloader trying to be clever)

I'll solder the joints and flash tomorrow if the software only mod/exploit still doesnt work.

Is there no way of flashing a Winbond Chip? I cannot see any mention of Winbond on the chips.

“Roll it back”

Originally posted by elmer

Ok - I'm about to give up on this flashing thing - unless you can help.

The TSOP will not flash (Using Evox).

The box is actually a 1.4 (has grounding pins on the LPC) .
    And the TSOP is a 256Kbytes device - an ST chip.

I've made the two tiny jumper joins on the motherboard and beeped the tracks out using a multimeter - pretty sure the two links are ok.

It just says - roughly "Flash Type Manufacturers 09 - !!Bios not Writeable!!"

Any ideas?? (besides get a mod chip :) )

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

Any ideas?? (besides get a mod chip )

no sorry

thats the error i got when the jumpers weren't soldered correctly, no point beeping them out as your only touching both sides of the slode blob, i just use a very bright torch

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mukki
    no sorry

thats the error i got when the jumpers weren't soldered correctly, no point beeping them out as your only touching both sides of the slode blob, i just use a very bright torch

I would have thought so myself - but I've actually followed the tracks back on both sides of the blobs and beeped them out there.
    Only thing I can think of is that my Evox is too old or that its not possible to flash an ST type chip.

Anyways - destroyed the xbox hardisk now with all the messing and hot swapping- testing and retesting the traces. Drive wont spin up anymore :(

:\

So I'm going to take the xbox hardisk from my own xbox (spare after I've upgraded its hardisk) - unlock then lock this hardisk with the now broken (but unmodded) xbox hardisk lock code - and hopefully the unmodified xbox accept the transplant. Hopefully it doesnt somehow remember the drive serial number as well?
    I have the evox backup codes from the xbox with the dead drive.

“Roll it back”

i've used the 007 auf raincoat - will flash anything - never trusted evox to do it - it also doesn't erase winbond chips

you might have trouble with the auld hd swaparoo. probably less of a pain to just stick a chip in the damn thing seeing as you've done it before

Nige

Advertisement