Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesdays €20 tourney

Options
  • 11-03-2004 3:54am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm sick. Myself and Dev went to the Fitz's €20 tourney this evening. Down to 10 players, playing well and looking at making the last 9 at least. On the big blind (800chips) with QJ. One caller. I check. Flop gives me a queen. I bet 2000. Other guy raises to 4000. I call. Turn card, nothing. He puts me all-in. We turn over our cards. He has Q4 so I'm ahead. I'm looking at that juicy pot as the river gives the jammy git a 4.
    I'm seriously peed off about that. I was so peeved I forgot to say goodbye to Dev (sorry Tom). What the bleedin hell is he doing calling the 800 with Q4 in the first place. Grrrrrrrrrr. Poker, I love it.

P.S. hope you won some money Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Whats the standard like on a wednesday? many regulars? How may tables/people were there? What were the prizes? how many places paid out? whats your favourite colour?

Curious George.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Favorite colour is blue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Oh yeah the other questions. Last night there were 3 tables of up to 12, at least 30 playing. I didn't make final table but in the past it's been anything from €600-€1000 for the winner with top 5 paying. Dev can confirm last nights situation when he gets out of bed.
    Standard is good. Some cash players. That guy that fluked that 4 on the river against me is a cash player and it must be true that they are either gamblers or idiots. To be betting with Q and a low kicker against a caller and not to wonder if you're beaten. Very bad but he got away with it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You're sick? I went out 7th. Got sweet FA. (first 6 got paid). whats worse is that I did it to myself. (and thats what really hurts).

I played a stormer all night and my confidence is good now. Didnt get great cards but what I got I made pay me. When we got down to the last table it got extremely tight. You must have gone out about midnight? I didnt go until 2am and there was just two blokes knocked out between us.

My 14K was good until the blinds got to about 1K... I started to come out shooting and my table image stood to me and I picked up a few hands by betting on the river (often with very little!). Hustled my way up to 28K and should have been cruising but 77 made me put an 8K raise in (the blinds were at 1K/2K at that point). Dave the floor manmager raised it all in to 11.5K and I had to see it really, I couldnt be pushed off that hand for so little. He had 10's and I got hurt.

Blinds went to 3K which when you have about 13K hurts and I made my stand on K7d (I got ****in' woeful cards at the last table, real trash including 84 and 83 on my BB and SB consequtively once!) Unfortunately he had A10d and I took the long walk.

When the blinds get that high you have a few rounds to pick something up and sometimes you just have to play the best you are dealt. Very frustrating...

The best part of the night was, oddly enough, when I got moved to a highly dangerous table... that cash player you mentioned Muso, was there to my left with a huge stack, on my right was Joe (who makes Stormin Norman look as tight as Pudding :) ) and of course, facing me is Stormin Norman!
    Got dealt QQ just as Joe returns from the pub after the top-up break. He raises, I reraise, he goes over the top all-in for 8K and I call in an instant (which was a bit hasty!).

He had AK and got no help and I crippled him to 800 chips. About 10 hands later Luke moved me *back* to my original table with twice as many chips as I left with! Before I did I apologised to Joe for the smash-and-grab but he was back to 7000 already! That set me up for the night, unfortunately the cards didnt really play ball at the end...

The standard at the 20-in game is exceptionally high compared to the Thursday night game. 35 players but they all are good players I've found. Very little screwing around except for the nutzoid cash players who are hanging out waiting for the cash game to start!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by DeVore
    The standard at the 20-in game is exceptionally high compared to the Thursday night game. 35 players but they all are good players I've found. Very little screwing around except for the nutzoid cash players who are hanging out waiting for the cash game to start!
    DeV.
    Sounds pretty much identical to the Sunday €20 Fitz game. The players are all good bar one or two n00bs who are risking €20-€80 to play with the big boys. Standard is high, people are tight and you'll have the Joe/Norman types who make it a bit crazy.

I just wish the games would start and end earlier. A 7pm start and midnight finish wouldn't leave me so wrecked for work in the mornings compared to finishing in the wee small hours.

"If you look around the table and you can't see the fish....you ARE the fish!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Originally posted by DeVore
    Hustled my way up to 28K and should have been cruising but 77 made me put an 8K raise in (the blinds were at 1K/2K at that point). Dave the floor manmager raised it all in to 11.5K and I had to see it really, I couldnt be pushed off that hand for so little. He had 10's and I got hurt.

That's the type of mistake that you need to get away from - 8k on 77 is a suicide move especially if there are small stacks behind you waiting for a chance to double up. At 28k you could afford to wait for better cards without being crippled. With 77 I would have called the blinds then if a big raise came in I would have walked away easily - if I get to see the flop then I have a chance to hit the set or semi-bluff. With 77 there are just too many over cards that can hurt you and when you get to the final 7 players people tend to play with cards that have a chance to out draw you.

Anyway just my 2c - I know we are differnt types of players etc

Hyzepher

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, looking back it was a dangerous move but it was a dangerous last table and people were playing all sorts of things... 77 with 7 players left and in relatively late position was looking good. If someone comes in with A3 or even AK I'm ok with that, its 25% or 50% either way... I can live with those odds. Plus I had a very tight image (well deserved because I was playing tight aggressive) and thought I might pick up the blinds and calls as the two scary players had already called / folded. An over pair wasnt really in the plan...

DeV.

It really depends on how you look at it - I would see the final table as a survival exercise - what I mean here is that i would not be prepared to jeopardise my entire night on a relatively weak hand. David had only 11.5k when you had 28k yet he made it into the money and you didn't. At 11.5k playing all-in with 10 10 was a much better bet than you playing 77 with 28k.

I am not saying that you should play ultra ultra tight but at 28k you had a big advantage over David, and any other small stack, as you had time to wait for a hand in the right position - they were fighting to stay afloat. That hand gave David 23k+ and put you down to 17k ish - you basically traded places with him on 77

Hyzepher

"At 11.5k playing all-in with 10 10 was a much better bet than you playing 77 with 28k."

Really? Ya Think? Boy I'm sure glad I made you mod. I'll write that one down lol!!

Yeah, as I said at the start "I did it to myself". I didnt need to chase down the marginal hands but 77 in 3rd last place out of 7 seemed a nice little earner. It'd be an easy game if you could make your bets *after* you see the cards!

DeV.

M8

Sorry I didn't mean to sound judgemental.

Hyzepher

• Advertisement

What was the prize money?
    I assume you have been entered into the bubble tournament?

5 prizes and the bubble (worth 20 notes). I got 7th and got a slap upside the head.
    Hyzepher, I'm only raggin' on ya. I know it was a bad play, it was my first of the evening after 5 hours hard play so I've forgiven myself but I learned a good lesson about last table play and that could be worth more then the 850 top prize!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I think you were correct putting in the raise in that position - the problem was you raised too much. Eight times the blind is far to much. You raised to collect the blinds, you don't want a caller but also you don't want to be pot commited if you get a caller or re-raiser. Hyzepher's advice was to call but I think that's a waste of a decent hand in good position - because after the flop comes down with overcards you don't know where you are.

By raising to 3 - 4000 you have an equal chance of robbing the blinds if nobody has found a hand but if you get a re-raise you can easily lay it down. If you had raised to 4000 and then folded you would still have 24000 back. Not too much damage done.

Yeah, I'd agree with that analysis of the situation. In the hand itself, no raise was going to get rid of Dave with his 10s in BB. I'm stitched up. If I hadnt put in such a frightener of a raise I would still have had a chunk of money. I made far tougher lay-downs last night then 4K on 77. Thats one thing I was pleased about, for the first time I was prepared to walk away from a "might be a winner if..." hand in order to protect the farm. And every time I was right.

If I had stuck in a 4K raise I could have easily walked away but I was on tilt a bit and hadnt seen a hand in about 20 (honest to god!) and probably over reacted.

I dont mind losing so long as I learn from it. Actually I still hate losing, but I have a consolation that maybe my thick skull might expand to include another morsel of info about this game.

DeV.

Advertisement