Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Game: (The BAT Flat) ; Saturday

Options
  • 10-03-2004 1:11pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Date/Time- Saturday 13th March (7:30pm)

Organiser- DeVore

Venue- His Flat in Waterloo Road. If you need to know my address, PM me. Otherwise we should arrange a pint beforehand or something.

Seats- At least 9 more if needed.

Game- No Limit Texas Holdem

Buyin- €10

Rebuys- Allowed. Rebuy period 3 hours (More if the prize pot is crap).

Topups- Yes. One at end of rebuy period.

Payout- 1st ½
    2nd 1/3
    3rd 1/6

Extras- Bring beer/whiskey!

Players:
    DeVore
    RogueDotc
    Amp
    Spiritus
    Iago
    Huckleberry Finn
    kencleary
    Mr Pudding
    Samson
    Alex
    Henbane
    Musician

DeVore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I will try to take all your money again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'd be happy to lose my money to you guys if there's a space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Hmmmm...... Like Iago I don't know any of you guys in person but i'd be happy to lose my money to you guys in a home game if there's room for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

me me me.

Originally posted by DeVore
    Lafortezza (Aka The Mississippi Bum Pirate).
    DeVore.
    But at least I'm a *rich* bum pirate thanks to the tells I've picked up on DeV and Mr P, Amp still has me stumped though, never know when he has good cards or not.

• Advertisement

Alex would like to play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Put my name down. I feel the need to lose some money

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Amp still has me stumped though, never know when he has good cards or not.

Neither does Amp! :p

*ducks*

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats 11, I dont think we can take any more. I've put Jedidjab in as he missed the other game but need him to confirm that he's up for it.

We'll use the kitchen table which can be extended but I might need to get chairs from somewhere... I'll have a count tonight.

I suppose if we got 12 we could run 2 tables of 6... what do people think?

DeV.

Thats 11, I dont think we can take any more. I've put Jedidjab in as he missed the other game but need him to confirm that he's up for it.
    We'll use the kitchen table which can be extended but I might need to get chairs from somewhere... I'll have a count tonight.
    I suppose if we got 12 we could run 2 tables of 6... what do people think?
    DeV.
    Table of 12 would be better fun I'd say. Maybe increase the prizes to fourth spot? 50% - 30% - 10% - 10% or something.

Also with 12 people, when people start getting knocked outit would mean a lengthy time of sitting and watching, which is never a good thing.

• Advertisement

So.... Lafortezza is as helpful as ever and I'm none-the-wiser as to his advice.
    When I say "I cant read Luke" I really mean, I cant *read* him. :)

Anyone else?

DeV.

So.... Lafortezza is as helpful as ever and I'm none-the-wiser as to his advice.
    When I say "I cant read Luke" I really mean, I cant *read* him. :)
    Anyone else?
    DeV.
    Now I'm confused...
    If my post was muddled it because I'm coughing and sneezing constantly!
    IMO a table of 12 would be better than 2 tables of 6, just for the "everyone around the same table" factor.

Also if there's 12 people playing at the freezeout then when people begin to get knocked out there will be lots of people watching instead of playing. Would people consider a cash game instead?

And with 12 people maybe prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th would be an idea.

Am I making sense or still talking drivel?

PS You're attempt at the "Ffff...no wait! All-in!" at the business league was pityful! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dev count me in if theres room.

Originally posted by lafortezza
    Now I'm confused...
    If my post was muddled it because I'm coughing and sneezing constantly!
    IMO a table of 12 would be better than 2 tables of 6, just for the "everyone around the same table" factor.

This is a point in favour of a 12 person table.
    Also if there's 12 people playing at the freezeout then when people begin to get knocked out there will be lots of people watching instead of playing. Would people consider a cash game instead?

This is a point against a 12 person table imho, but the use of the conjunction "also" would imply that you thought it was "also" a point in favour....
    And with 12 people maybe prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th would be an idea.
    Yes that sounds like a plan, maybe even 5.
    Am I making sense or still talking drivel?

"Still" implies the possibility of cessation :p
    PS You're attempt at the "Ffff...no wait! All-in!" at the business league was pityful! :)

Ah now, thats just not true! Heads up, every last one of ye watching... I thought it was pretty well timed :p
    And your attempt at buying me a pint has been non-existant!!

Muso sneaks in the backdoor on the river... again.

DeV.

And your attempt at buying me a pint has been non-existant!!
    DeV.
    Last Monday in the Henry G, you went to the bank machine and there was a pint waiting when you got back.

And my points about 12 people at the table:
    1) Good: Everyone gets to play against everyone else, and nobody misses a chance to try and pick up your tell.
    2) Bad: 12 people at the table, means there will be people sitting and watching for alot of the freezeout, therefore I suggest a cash game!

Cash Game + lots of booze + people who don't each other = danger

By cash game do you mean somebody could just reach into his pocket and raise you 50 or would we be switching to limit poker?

Personally I'd prefer a tournament - I just find it that much more of a thrill to scoop the big prize at the end rather than playing all night and leaving a fiver up or something.

Originally posted by kencleary
    Cash Game + lots of booze + people who don't each other = danger

By cash game do you mean somebody could just reach into his pocket and raise you 50 or would we be switching to limit poker?

Personally I'd prefer a tournament - I just find it that much more of a thrill to scoop the big prize at the end rather than playing all night and leaving a fiver up or something.
    Cash game would mean paying €10 at the start and getting say 1000units of chips.
    Then if you lose your 1000chips you can rebuy another 1000 for another tenner.
    You can only play with the chips in front of you, you can't reach into your pocket for more cash until you're current chips are all gone. You can't rebuy for more than 1000 chips at a time.

It means that you can decide how much you want to spend on the whole night long.
    And if there's a big stack bullying the table it means that he can put you all in for your 1000chips but no more.

The only advantage it has over the tournament system is that people can play as long as they like. If in a tournament there's only 5 people left, then that means 7 people watching for anything up to 2 hours until the game finishes.

Just a suggestion :)

PS And I think most of the players going to Dev's know each other fairly well not to get angry over a friendly game of poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

for what my opinions worth I think a cash game is a good idea, it would certainly beat sitting around waiting for a game to end!!

I don't think it would lead to trouble at all, it's not like we're playing for thousands here, simple rule, don't arrive with any more money than you mind losing!

but I'm easy, whatever the majority vote is, after all I'm the new kid on the block :)

Ah right - that makes more sense but what about cashing out then? Can that big stack just decide at any point that discretion is the better part of valour or do we cash out at a set time?

PS: I've seen a few games among "friends" turn quite nasty when there's a bit of cash involved :D

I think we could run something like this:

12 person game with an early freeze out, say the game starts at 7:30, we freeze out at 9 or 9:30 the first 3 get prizes but the first 6 out start a second, immediately frozen game, the winner of which gets a share in the pool as well.

So, say the pot is 350 notes at the freeze out.

The winner of the big game gets 150, 2nd gets 100, 3rd gets 50....

The first 6 players out play off in a freeze out game on the side and the winner of that gets 50 as well. This way unless you are 7th out of the big game or out early in both games you wont really be sitting out for long.

I too prefer tournament games, especially with new people and as a fun night.

Luke: I was sitting there during the FML thinking I hadnt paid for that drink and feeling all guilty!! LOL... um thanks for the pint (it'll wash down the humble pie :) )

DeV.

• Advertisement

Ah right - that makes more sense but what about cashing out then? Can that big stack just decide at any point that discretion is the better part of valour or do we cash out at a set time?

PS: I've seen a few games among "friends" turn quite nasty when there's a bit of cash involved :D
    Cashing out would depend on what everyone decides they want to do. Set a finish time of 2am or something? That might be the only problem with it.
    I don't really imagine anyone treating these home games as a 'nice little earner' tbh.

Nah, anyone who sits at a poker game and doesnt know how much they want to spend and doesnt consider that money already spent and burnt is:

a. an idiot of the highest order.

b. not going to be a good poker player because they will be worrying about losing money rather then concerning themselves with winning it.

If you lose more then 40 quid at a home game I'd be amazed and frankly it would be your own stupid fault. We have 2 XBOX's and 2 playstations and a broadband connected PC in the main room. If anyone cant keep themselves from losing and gets drunk and aggressive.... well its an awfully long way down from my place by the short route :)

Seriously though, every single poker player I've met from boards has been super cool and a good laugh to hang out with... noones raking in chump-change and noone is going to be in-your-face if they beat you... its just not like that. :):)

Why dont we play a big table of 12 and let those knocked out early after the freeze out start a cash game if they want to... they only need 4 to get started.... seems like the best of both worlds!

DeV.

I know, I know - my comments really only applied when I thought it was going to be a reach into your wallets cash game but I felt the need to keep flogging the dead horse in response to lafortezza's comments :)

quote:

noone is going to be in-your-face if they beat you

Well if I win I'll probably be whooping a bit :)

quote:

Why dont we play a big table of 12 and let those knocked out early after the freeze out start a cash game if they want to... they only need 4 to get started.... seems like the best of both worlds!

Sounds like a plan!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

As I have been working onsite all day, I see I've missed the boat. Damnit.
    Can you stick me on the reserves list Tom? If anyone drops out I'd love to drop in.

Wilco... but unless Jedidjab is doing something that night I dont see any of the other rabid loonies dropping out :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

I have the _worst_ luck ... maybe I should quit poker. Devore -- thanks a million for putting me on the list :); again I managed to spend a few hours away from boards and I see your game got filled up too.

Unfortunately I'm off to London from Friday to Sunday .. didn't realise your home game was going to be so soon when you mentioned at boards beer the other night. Now what's the chance of a third home game :) LOL...

I am going to try for the last Saturday of every month. I also like having BBQs so this may have to change slightly. So as a general rule of thumb subject to demand and nothing else coming up I will have a game every month.

MrP

quote:

noone is going to be in-your-face if they beat you

Well if I win I'll probably be whooping a bit :)
    And if you beat DeV on the river card, then everyone else will be whooping along beside you! ;)

Right, Samson you can have Lafortezza's place. :p (more seriously, since Jedidjab cant make it, you can take his!)

feckin' mississippi bum pirate!

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If anyone else were to drop out I'd be interested, I am a total noob at hold 'em though.

Advertisement