Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do with an Epox Motherboard and a blinking keyboard

Options
  • 09-03-2004 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Okay, a friend wanted a cheap low/mid spec pc, so I ordered it all of komplett and it arrived today, I took the usual precautions (static strap etc.), then when I had plugged it all together I turned it on.
    CPU checked fine
    Memory checked fine
    HD checked fine
    then I get a message saying
    "CMOS Checksum failed"

Now at this stage I would normally flash the bios, but my bloody keyboard wont work, and before you ask yes I have plugged it in, and yes I have put it in the right port :D

But rather than work, the lights for num lock, caps lock etc. just flicker constantly.
    I'm just wondering if anyone's seen this before or has any ideas on what to do next ?

BTW motherboard model is Epox 8kmm3i

Danke
    Monk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 monk

sry guys
    i just realised this is in the wrong forum :eek: can anyone move it to the technology one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

(Can't help you with the forum move, sorry :D)

Hmm...

I can't seem to find out if your board has the two seven-segment displays that a lot of Epox boards have (or at least had) to diagnose errors... I don't think it does, which sucks. :(

You should try the following:

1) Check that you haven't plugged the keyboard into the mouse port - it happens...
    2) Check it with another keyboard (borrow one or something, if you can)
    3) Pull out the CMOS battery (usually one of those lithium jobs, a silver coin-shaped thing 20mm in diameter). Plug out the PSU. Leave it out for a minute or two (should only need about 15 seconds, but just to be paranoid...), put the battery back in, plug in the mains, and try it again.

A CMOS checksum error shouldn't really happen with a new (i.e freshly unwrapped) board - you should check that battery with a multimeter or similar. It's rated at 3V, and should be putting out a little more than that if it's new and healthy. A checksum error doesn't necessarily require a re-flash, although it mightn't hurt.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

Advertisement