Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My almost finished rig :D

Options
  • 09-03-2004 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭

Still waiting to get a 9800XT to finish up but komplett will have the new card in by the end of the month.

Picture_18.jpg

Picture_19.jpg

Picture_10.jpg

Cabeling still needs work tho but you can see the overall effect :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

Nice rig.
    A mate got a lanfire. Trying to keep cables tidy with all the fan controllers was murder but its gotta be done when u have a window

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by Prosta
    Nice rig.
    A mate got a lanfire. Trying to keep cables tidy with all the fan controllers was murder but its gotta be done when u have a window

Aye its the fan controllers cables that are a right pain to tidy up:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭neokenzo

All done apart from getting the wires neat and tidy which is going to be a big pain in the a$$. A few screws here and there and this babe is ready :)

PC1.jpg

PC2.jpg

EDIT: Sorry the picture is way big, dont have the software to cut it smaller yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Originally posted by neokenzo
    All done apart from getting the wires neat and tidy which is going to be a big pain in the a$$. A few screws here and there and this babe is ready :)

EDIT: Sorry the picture is way big, dont have the software to cut it smaller yet.
    I have that same motherboard. I presume your hard drive is SATA. I'm in the middle of a build. I wanted to connect my SATA Samsung hard drive to the motherboard but it's got 4 SATA connections, namely: SATA1, SATA2, PRI_SATA and SEC_SATA. Which do I use. I have no intention of using RAID. From what I can gather, I should use SATA1 or SATA2 and disable the Promise RAID controllers in the BIOS. I'm only guessing though. I'm just about to google it but thought you might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

:mad:

aaf i assume u mean Venom's DFI and not my Asus P4S800D-E

I read the Anandtech rave reviews and buy the board and a Maxtor sata.
    Then I see all the forums saying the SiS chipset sata/raid drivers sucks
    I got a 160gb paperweight sitting in my PC till they release updated drivers or buy a new sata controller.

:mad:

• Advertisement

aaf If you are refering to my system, I just have a Pata IBM HD as of now. Still looking into get a Sata one so im not able to help on that one.

Try here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by aaf
    I have that same motherboard. I presume your hard drive is SATA. I'm in the middle of a build. I wanted to connect my SATA Samsung hard drive to the motherboard but it's got 4 SATA connections, namely: SATA1, SATA2, PRI_SATA and SEC_SATA. Which do I use. I have no intention of using RAID. From what I can gather, I should use SATA1 or SATA2 and disable the Promise RAID controllers in the BIOS. I'm only guessing though. I'm just about to google it but thought you might be able to help.

I connect it VIARAID and I am not using Promise RAID. I connect it to SATA1 and SATA2. If in doubt, check the manual. It has quite a comprehensive explanation towards the end of the manual for RAIDs.

Originally posted by neokenzo
    I connect it VIARAID and I am not using Promise RAID. I connect it to SATA1 and SATA2. If in doubt, check the manual. It has quite a comprehensive explanation towards the end of the manual for RAIDs.
    I have the same motherboard as neokenzo, the ASUS K8V Deluxe. I have one Samsung 160GB SATA hard drive and I want to connect it to the motherboard with the supplied SATA cable. I've plugged it into SATA1 on the motherboard. Haven't started the pc up yet as I'm still building it. Is that the right port to connect to? So all I have to do is to disable the Promise RAID controllers in the BIOS? The manuals I have say nothing about connecting a single SATA hard drive! From my understanding of them, they only explain how to use RAID with 2 or more drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

How quiet is your setup Venom? Be very descriptive :)

I'm looking into making a nice new box at the minute and I want it to be very quiet. I've heard that the Zalman is top class in this department, though I've heard nothing about your case, your hard drive or the Radeon 9800s when it comes to noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

nice rigs folks, i plan on doing a cable tidy up and perhaps more neon lighty up stuff during the summer.

aaf when i put my s-ata drive in my computer i had to use the floppy disc then for it to be detected. i did this by pressing somthing like F8 when i was installing windows, press Fy to install a third party scsi/raid device or something like that

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bosco
    How quiet is your setup Venom? Be very descriptive :)

I'm looking into making a nice new box at the minute and I want it to be very quiet. I've heard that the Zalman is top class in this department, though I've heard nothing about your case, your hard drive or the Radeon 9800s when it comes to noise.

Very quite and thats with 11 fans going in total :D

The Zalman is top of its class for cooling silently and the Trueblue PSU is very very quite indeed. Bar a clicking sound when the HD access's stored data is silent but is the loudest noise in my rig tho but seeing as how its insanely fast, Im happy with it.

Case's dont make noise and I can comment on the 9800's as Im taking advice and waiting on the next gen ATI and Nvidea cards to come out in a month or two before buying the final upgrade to my pc :D

Well maybe another Raptor might be added lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

aaf

I'd say you should connect to PRI_SATA as it sounds like it the primary sata slot (like a primary IDE socket) with the SEC_SATA being the secondary. SATA1 and SATA2 sound like the ports for raid. As the others said, check out your motherboard manual, it should have details on all the different types of sockest on the board.
    The most common types of raid are raid1 and raid0, one is stripping and the other is mirroring, I can't remember which is which.
    Stripping takes the data and speads it across two drives, so you could have part of a file on one drive and the other part on the other drive. this gives you the full storage capacity and speeds up the data storage process.
    Mirroring stores everything on one drive and stores an exact copy on the other. This method means you have much safer storage, if one of your drives crashes the other will still have all your stuff on it.

Originally posted by Raz
    aaf

I'd say you should connect to PRI_SATA as it sounds like it the primary sata slot (like a primary IDE socket) with the SEC_SATA being the secondary. SATA1 and SATA2 sound like the ports for raid. As the others said, check out your motherboard manual, it should have details on all the different types of sockest on the board.
    The most common types of raid are raid1 and raid0, one is stripping and the other is mirroring, I can't remember which is which.
    Stripping takes the data and speads it across two drives, so you could have part of a file on one drive and the other part on the other drive. this gives you the full storage capacity and speeds up the data storage process.
    Mirroring stores everything on one drive and stores an exact copy on the other. This method means you have much safer storage, if one of your drives crashes the other will still have all your stuff on it.
    Solved my problem: ASUS K8V Deluxe & Samsung SATA drive. Cheers for the advice though

Advertisement