Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating system going glug glug

Options
  • 09-03-2004 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

We have a typical closed loop central heating system, house is 8 yr old. Oil boiler. Last xmas someone told me when I was leaving the house, to close off the hand valve that supplies the cold water to the hot water system if topping up is required. Reason they said to close it off is that I was away for a week and if any pipes bust it would only be the water in the rads that would leak into the house and no more. With the valve open it would flood the house.
    Only thing is, I forgo to turn the valve back on when I got back after xmas, and the last 2-3 weeks there has been a glug glug sound for about 20secs from the hot water tank area when the heating would switch off. I opened up the valve last night and you could hear the water coming down from the tank topping up the system.

My question is; would you expect to have some water loss over time due to any reason? I have never noticed any water leaks in the house down the walls/ceiling/floors so its not obvious if there is a leak.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Sounds like there is a leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 wheresmejumper

Maybe it's not a leak - I guess the steam that comes out the vent pipe of the boiler comes from water in the heating loop. I see a lot of steam coming out of our gas boiler on a cold day anyway.

Advertisement