Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying tiles on floor boards

Options
  • 09-03-2004 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Planning to lay vinyl tiles on floor boards. Sheet of hardboard to be screwed down first. Can anybody tell me which side up, shiny or rough? I'm guessing shiny cos they are the self adhesive vinyl tiles and the shiny surface of the hardboard would give a better bonding surface than the rough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I put down ply.
    12millimetre I think.
    Shiny both sides.

Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

12mm. sounds a bit on the thick side. I'm keeping the saddle in so I don't want it going above the side of it. Tiles are about 1.5mm and edge of saddle is about 6-7mm high so anything above 4-5mm would look wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

They come in 9mm as well to my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

use 12mm ply & replace the door saddle.

Fix ply with screws every 100mm. Make sure screws are the same depth as the ply and the original floorboards, otherwise you will hit a pipe or a cable.

Cut new saddle in half exactly where new surface will meet the skirting.

Advertisement