Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back the 'A' 6 nations

Options
  • 08-03-2004 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

I was thinking today because I was bord that we really need to bring back the A championship for one reason in particular, developing our next pack. Watching Wales on sunday the one thing they need to deliver the goods is a good solid pack and I got to thinking where is our next pack going to come from?

Watched Munsters game on Friday and they got destroyed against Ulsters nearly first choice pack. Apart from Marcus Horan we haven't got much in the way of up and coming international standard props. Its a big worry I think, we could find ourselves in the same situation as Wales in a few years if we don't start blooding our next generation of players.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

In principle of course, you're absolutely right. In practice, I think it's a financial thing. The Celtic Nations decided en masse that they couldn't afford to keep their A teams running.

I know Sir Clive is a bit miffed about that because HE needs to blood his next generation of forwards too (oh boy does he ever :-) :-) :-) ) and may be reduced to playing Super 12 sides out of season to that end.

Fact is: outside of the national side and the provinces, and at that maybe only three of them, rugby is an amateur game in this country. Do the A internationals want to pay to play? I suspect not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Not a bad idea but again finances will probably set it back. I would be all for it and I think it should be considered (or else organise some A team tests or something) because the players need to be played at the highest level to prove themselves. And of course to continue competing with the southern hemisphere teams something will have to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Of course if the celtic league got in main sponsor and some cash started flowing into the league. I know Wales and probably Scotland cannot afford an A championship and we're dissing out more cash to club players to fill in for internationals who are off playing the 6 nations, but I would like to see a more competitive level for developing players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by GreenHell
    but I would like to see a more competitive level for developing players.

HERE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement