Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales V France [Scores]

Options
  • 07-03-2004 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Almost started.

I'll run occasional updates for no reason other than I'm bored and I have €40 on France.

My prediction: France by 18/20 points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

5th minute: French awarded penalty under Welsh posts. 0-3 France.

Welsh lineout didn't struggle with the rolling maul as against Ireland. Their scrum however, looks in trouble. Marconnet and De Villiers will probably fancy their chances of doing a number on their front row opponents.

12th minute: Jones lands a monster 50 metre penalty to level it 3-3.

The Welsh now showing a bit of vigour. Charvis blood binned and the dropped Williams comes on in his place.

16th minute: Welsh hands on the ground gives Elissalde the chance to send over another penalty for the French. 3-6 to France.

18th minute: The French front-row penalised inside their own half. Jones converts, seems to be striking the ball very well thus far. 6-6.

22nd minute: Welsh forwards have seemingly discovered their tescticles since the Ireland game. Great driving and rucking result in Jones putting Wales ahead 9-6 from a fairly direct penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gwan Wales. Another upset on the cards. What would the odd been for wales and ireland to win

25th minute: Jones sends over another easy penalty after the French pack again kill the ball at a ruck. Another one and surely someone will be binned. 12-6 to Wales.

36th minute: France awarded a penalty after some good play in the Welsh half. It drifts to the right and wide. Still 12-6. France are only intermittently firing...they've really been below par and one can't help but wonder why Ireland fell down so badly against them.

40th minute: France gain good field position after Wales concede a penalty. From the lineout and resulting maul, H'Quy (you know, the no.7 who's normally no. 8 :))crosses the line. The conversion is successful. Score at half-time 12-13.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

2 penalties for France in the first 7 mins of the 2nd half - lead stretched to 7 points.

12 - 19

• Advertisement

54th minute:

Penalty to Wales in front of the posts. Scored.

Wales looking stronger now.

15 - 19

57th minute:

The Welshmen can't keep up with the sudden burst of pace from the French and an almost 50-yd. run turns into a try which is converted relatively easily.

15 - 26

I didn't see the Italy-Scotland game, but of the four sides I've witnessed this weekend, Ireland are the only side with a competent lineout. Still 15-26.

Wales disallowed a try for crossing. My €40 at a h'cap of -10 looking somewhat precarious.

70th minute: Elissalde lands a penalty after the French demolish the Welsh scrum a couple of times in a row. 15-29 to France.

79th minute: Wales score a try!

The ref now seems determined to give the Welsh a go at equalling. it.

Michelak loses me my €40 because he can't find touch from a penalty, excuse me while I call him an over-rated tosser. Yachvili was little better, driving a low punt against the legs of the Welsh winger and resulting in the lineout from which Wales scored.

• Advertisement

And so it ends Wales 22-29 France.

My thoughts on the game are:

If France's lineout was that bad against Ireland we'd surely have won. The French lived up to their enigmatic reputation, baldly put they're good but not good enough. They may even defeat England, but they're not of the same standard as the southern hemisphere. Their scrum saved them today.

As I said, Michelak is over-rated in my opinion. While he had some good breaks today he spend too much time kicking badly and then feigning injury. And he blatantly lost me my money :-)

Wales had plenty of heart but lacked anything resembling a good set piece. They weren't going to win this game 2nd half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Possibly yeah from what I hear. Unfortunately I couldn't watch the France - Ireland game...but I struggle to see how they beat us handily. They are not a side to fear IMO.

Advertisement