Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Line Volunteerism?--help lines in general?

Options
  • 05-03-2004 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

hi...i was just wondering what i need to do to get involved with helping out with help-lines etc?.would really love to try it.......i love helping other people etc.....anyone have info.any help would be highly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The ISPCC run childline in this country. Volunteering info here:

http://www.ispcc.ie/vols.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

What area are you interested in working in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

im not sure...anything to do with helping other less fortunate people really.....checked out the ISPCA but the process to become a consultent there is too long...like 2 years.....i was just thinking of something i might do when i have some free time....i love helping people.....and im a good advice giver...so whatever you might think?....cheers :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

The Samaritans is a good listening organisation. They are always looking for volunteers.
    http://www.samaritans.org/know/news_ire280202.shtm
    http://www.samaritans.org/support/volunteer.shtm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

The St. Vincent de Paul is one you could check out. Dealing with serious problems over the phone requires serious training. With the VdeP you can help at a practical level in or around your own community. Can guarantee when you join a local VdeP group they will welcome you with open arms.

Apart from that if you contact your local church or community information centre they would have details of the various organisations in your area that need help.

• Advertisement

thanks allee....if i am to go ahead with it ill ahve to sort it out in co-ordination with college which ill be starting in October.............just have always wanted to do it :).........thanks anyway for your help :):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

how old are u? i used to work on the phones for the samaritans. its seriously tough, u have to be very mature and have a lot of life experience. i doubt anyone under 20 wud be able for it. u have GOT to be able to deal with the calls correctly, otherwise u cud make the person feel worse.

hey silent..again!.......hehe....yea..i know exactly what you mean...im 19...going on 20 in april........im great at advice giving and love helping people......thats why i wanted to do it.....but hey...i suppose i can wait another while huh?....silent...are you male or female....sorry to ask but your name doesnt really give it away!....lol...just curious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

im sure u think ur really helpful when it comes to friends but its a totally different kettle of fish when it comes to the samaritans etc.

it can be hard to understand how a 40 year old suicidal man feels. most of its listening, anyway, its not exactly like ur giving practical advice that often, and sometimes it can be dangerous to do so. u have to let the person come to their decisions on their own.

im only 22, but ive been through some heavy ****(e). there are other less demanding ways of helping other people. u cud volunteer at a shelter or summat.

im a girl.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

originally posted by Silent Grape
    it can be hard to understand how a 40 year old suicidal man feels. most of its listening, anyway, its not exactly like ur giving practical advice that often, and sometimes it can be dangerous to do so. u have to let the person come to their decisions on their own.
    That is a good point and it is really important that whatever organisation people volunteer for that they do follow the rules and guidelines of the organisation. It's also important to go with something that you like and maybe have a little knowledge of. While you don't get paid for voluntary work, that doesn't make it easy work to do a lot of the time. Be prepared to listen and work hard and you might find that the people you work with are good to talk to and good fun. There can be a very good feeling of achievement in helping people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement