Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom saved me €150!!

Options
  • 04-03-2004 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭

Ha ha!

I posted a couple of months ago about finally narrowing down the reasons for my DSL test failures to the line between the eircom manhole at the bottom of my drive and the house. ie when they got rid of the a/c no. requirement on the online checker I was able to input all my neighbours numbers. They all passed, even both nextdoor neighbours. This ruled out distance from exchange, line quality in estate etc. I figured the problem could be the 2 inches of exposed cable on the footpath whose outer shielding had been worn away by the cars pulling in and out of mine and my neighbours drive. I figured a new line would have me sorted. Then I found out a new line would be €150, there would no doubt be hassle transferring the number to the new line and cancelling the old line etc (knowing Eircom!). I then heard of the special offers ending in February and everyone said there might be new products in the offing come March so I decided to wait till these new offers arrived before I made my mind up about getting a new line installed. Boy I'm glad I postponed!

I saw some Eircom/TE telecom engineers at the manhole at the bottom of the drive today and went out to ask them what the were doing. Replacing all the lines in the estate! Turns out the ducting that was installed about 6 or 7 years ago to each house was for this very purpose ( I always wondered what the point of digging up every garden in the estate was back then. Had my fingers crossed for Mary O'Rourkes mythical 5mbit FTTH though!) but the line upgrades were postponed back then for some reason. Now they were back to finish the job 7 years later! (typical Eircom :rolleyes: )

Anyway, they'll be back next week apparently to wire up each house saving me a few hundred quid ( doubt I would have been informed of the line replacements by the maintenance biddy had I ordered a new line back then.I'm sure she would quite happily have parted me with my €150!!) and a small measure of hassle, then its on to the Biddies to downgrade the line back to PTSN, get my line retested and then order DSL from those lovely chaps at UTV!! Woohoo!! :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

so youre praising eircom for doing something that they should have done 7 years ago? Don't get me wrong it's great that it's being done but it would have been greater 7 years ago when I was supposed to happen, saving you the mental trauma of the possibility of spending €150. I think you should sue!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Rymus,

I've re-read your post a few times and still cant figure if your being sarcastic, funny, serious etc :D:D

Me praise Eircom!! :D:D Tongue in cheek thread title m8! I thought the body of the post was reasonably clear too ie. thrilled that postponing a new line saved me 150 quid and knowing that the biddy would not have told me about the line ugrades a month or two ago and would have processed the new line order. Lots of 'typical Eircoms' and rolleyes :rolleyes: in there aswell, order BB from UTV etc etc!

Can I miss-read the last line of your post as apparent sarcasm? Sue them coz of the mental trauma coz they nearly cost you a fortune of 150 quid . Tis a small amount alright but better in my pocket than theirs! :D:D:D

Advertisement