Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave the contention ratio, double the speed.

Options
  • 04-03-2004 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Would that of been so hard to do? Since the for mer 48:1 512 product was put down in price and the old price point had it's contention cut in half why couldn't they have just left the contention as it was, (I've never had contention issues really, dunno about most people) and instead doubled the speed to 1mps?

Note: If this should be in the broadband forum instead mods please feel free to move it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

expect a reply along the lines of poor quality of phone lines in this techonologically advanced first world country :rolleyes:
    1Mbit 48:1 and doubled cap would certainly be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

just a guess, but it is probably cheaper for them to lower the contention ratio, as it would be only on a few lines that they would have reached capicity (i.e 48 users) so why not just use those lines that are quiet and spread out.

of course this is just me guessing, i use NTL and have no idea what DSL is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Jorinn
    Would that of been so hard to do? Since the for mer 48:1 512 product was put down in price and the old price point had it's contention cut in half why couldn't they have just left the contention as it was, (I've never had contention issues really, dunno about most people) and instead doubled the speed to 1mps?
    It would have been very easy to do this.

A 48:1 1mbit product costs exactly the same as a 512k 24:1 product. The same equipment is used and the bandwidth costs are identical.

The only thing is that Eircom already sell a 1 Mbit product to the business market for which they are paid premium rates. Selling the same speed (albeit at a higher contention ratio) to home users would undermine this.

All this is simply a symptom of the Eircom monopoly.

Advertisement