Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom flat rate quality of service

Options
  • 03-03-2004 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭

Hrm, figures... Eircom can't even cater for the customers they have without trying to get deserters like myself back, lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

I have also just signed up for Flatrate 25, and have also noticed that the speed is a little on the slow side compared to my pay as you go dial up. Haven't had any problems connecting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I didn't think eircom did anything physical / technical to your line as there was no installation charge. I thought the Flat rate was just a billing thing. Seems I was wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I've been using flatrate 25 since it started and find it ok. I get a good connection everytime and don't find it slow. I'm surprised as I've been using dialup since 1994 and found EVERY provider I ever used bar the free ones appalling - iol being by far the worst. Club Internet was equally awful. Connect Ireland was utterly dire. And finally EsatFusion was fine until literally the day they bought iol, when the service literally collapsed.

The real advantage of the flatrate service anyway is that you save the 10-20 a month you used to pay on failed connections because of the minimum call charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

I didn't think eircom did anything physical / technical to your line as there was no installation charge. I thought the Flat rate was just a billing thing. Seems I was wrong!!

The dial up number is different from Eircom's free dial up number, so you are possibly connected to a different server. Also you can only dial-up from one phone number - they must use caller id to identify you, and therefore monitor your time online. As Eircom don't have to do anything they don't have to charge for it.

Eircom are actively trying to sign up people for the flatrate service. My parents and I both have received phone calls from Eircom rep's in relation to flatrate and broadband.

I had actually signed up over the weekend online, and got a phone call on the Monday evening wondering if I was interested in flatrate access. The guy was 'surprised' when I told him I had already signed up. I think I ruined his sales pitch! :D

Has anyone used flat rate from any of the other isp's?

Advertisement